Expand my Community achievements bar.

graphical data input for online forms

Level 1

Is there a field type that allows graphical input data to be used within a livecycle pdf/xml form, i.e. the output from the form will be a series of coordinates the user enters by drawing within the field with a mouse or some other such device?

If not, can the comment tools be used for this purpose? The pencil tool is used to draw anywhere on the form and the coordinates are sent at the point of submission.

I'd be very grateful for comments and suggestions.

P

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Potential solutions depend on what the user will be using to access the form. If they are using the full version of Acrobat then they can automatically comment / annotate a form. However if they are using Reader then you will have to enable the form for comments. If you are using LC Reader Extensions to enable the form then you can include the option for the user to comment on the form. On the other hand  if you are reader enabling through Acrobat then you cannot reader enable a static or dynamic form allowing a user to place comments / annotate a form. With Acrobat you can only enable a flattened PDF to allow Reader comments.

Attached is an example of a solution I implemented which was based on the current mouse position. There was a list of attributes and conditions to which related to the 10 markers. The user could then position the markers based on the SWOT. This was inspired by Thom Parker's fly swatter examples on www.pdfscripting.com. I have an example at http://www.acrobatusers.com/sites/default/files/gallery_pictures/LC%20Picture%20Puzzle.pdf

You might be able to work up a similar solution, where the user clicks a grid and the page coordiantes are assigned to a field. You will proably need to have a constant to convert the page coordiantes to the coordinated system you are working to.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Very many thanks for your detailed explanation and for the example, Niall.

So, for the LC extensions enabled forms, comments, including freehand drawing, can be submitted via http in the usual fashion?

For non-comment enabled forms, do you think the grid system can be made fine enough so that handwriting and sketches can be encoded with it? This is the aim here - to be able to convey hand-drawn information to a remote server.

Rgds, P

Level 10

Hi,

I don't have LC Reader Extensions, so I cannot advise if what you want is achievable.

Testing here, static forms can be enabled to allow users with Reader to annotate the form. Dynamic forms cannot be enabled to allow this functionality.I suspect that if you reader enable a dynamic form through LC Reader Extensions, users with Reader will still not be able to annotate the form.

However in any case I don't think you will be able to access the "coordinates" of the handdrawn diagrams.

Hmmm... the previous example uses the x and y coordinates of the mouse position, which is quite fine. But I don't "think" you will be able to use this to draw. If you get it to work, I would love to see it.

If you need coordiantes, then that is going to take a few hours in a dark room.  If you want a "drawing" without coordinates then a suitable enabled static form will work.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

So only data inserted into a field can be inserted into a database, comment annotations cannot be sent in any form other than with the pdf itself? This makes sense, I suppose.

Since one cannot make new graphical objects the only answer would therefore seem to be to have a 2D matrix of white pixel-sized small squares, and then change the colour of the squares to black according to whether or not a clicked mouse passes over it. To have that at any kind of useful size and resolution would require a huge number of objects....

Perhaps flash is the way to go here?

Rgds, P

Level 10

Hi,

I think so, otherwise it could look like a drunken spider had staggered across the page/form.

Good luck,

Niall