Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing to PDF with embedded swf causes error

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 HTML.

I'm trying to publish a version of our help file to pdf, there are several topics that have swf files in the topics, but everytime I publish there is an error and no PDF output comes the only error I get is

Internal error encountered,  Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

Am I missing something.....

I've tried this in blank new projects with a single topic and various swf files and the same error occurs everytime.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try generating to Word instead of PDF.

Look in the Output pod for any messages.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word publishes fine, with and without the swf file, of course the file doesnt show but I do get output.

however, PDF does not generate, with or without the swf file. I can't get pdf generated output at all, same error as before. But not a very specific error. this may be annoying to solve. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be quite sure, are you deselecting PDF, creating a Word document and then in Word going to File > Print and selecting the PDF printer?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, when I'm trying to publish directly to PDF from RH I select pdf, and de-select Word. The reason for this is the embedded swf files that I have, I can manually embed them in PDFs that I create from Word. But that is a teadous process, and RH has pdf as an output option so I'm hopig to automate the whole thing.......why is there an issue with creating pdfs straight out of RH?

when I generate to word however, I do de-select pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to establish whether you have a general problem with creating PDFs from RH or if it is just this layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah so am I, from what I can tell its all over RH.

I opened some of the sample projects that are provided, and I couldn't create PDFs from this either. I played around with the pdf settings, making them compatiable with various versions, and still nothing, that have completely different styles, CSS, layouts etc. It fails all over the place, perhaps its an error with Acrobat or something, rather than RH.

So I dont think its related to this particular project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with one of the samples if you turn off PDF, generate to Word and then create the PDF from Word, does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can do it manually from Word.

Using every possible PDF creation method I use. Save As XPS/PDF and Print to Adobe PDF, or PDFCreater from the printer list.

I follow the RH output process for a pdf, and can see it creating the word doc successfuly, but when it gets to the end it just fails.

I thought I was on to something earlier, the TOC and other settings were outdated and not correct and this was causing errors during output creation, but it still fails at the same time.
Everything is generated successfully, but right at the end i get this

Saving 'test.doc'...
Generating 'test.pdf'...
Failed the generate PDF file 'C:\Robohelp Docs\!SSL!\test\test.pdf'...
Failed to save 'test.doc'...
Cleaning up temporary files...

Internal error encountered,  Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have established that the problem is only if you try to create the PDF direct from RH. If you go via Word it is OK, albeit you don't get the SWF embedded.

See Item 33 in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/using_rh7.htm on my site as that sounds like the problem. I know you are using RH8 but the fix is reregistration of an Acrobat file so it should work there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work. The dll re-registered successfully, but it didn't solve the issue in RH.

It still fails at the same time.

I made sure not to load anything when I rebooted, and ran the command. but still it crashes.

im going to get a new version of acrobat today (pro 9 extended)....perhaps this will solve the issue.

I havn't been able to find anyone with a similar issue online......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the price of upgrading to TCS2 rather than just buying Acrobat 9. In some cases it is a better deal.

You might want to try the trial version first to make sure it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the trial of Acrobat 9 and this solved the publishing to pdf problem.

Though, now that I can publish to pdf, it doesnt display my swf files in the pdf doc.

In a webhelp output, the swf file is there.

But in pdf it is not.

I've tried setting the changing the PDF compability settings etc in the PDF Settings area, but nothing has worked.....

Is it even possible to have swf files in a pdf produced from RH?

I can do it manually, but thats just a lot more work.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does RoboHelp (in RH8) still create a word document before creating a PDF-document? It does in Robo7, even if you uncheck the box Generate Word DOC. It basically, Robo7 creates a Word document and then creates a PDF from the Word document.

I don't know of a way to add a SWF into word, perhaps adding an object. But Robo doesn't support this as far as I know.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From looking at the output process, it looks like a doc file is created, then it generates a pdf from this.

I thought perhaps they would have some after publishing thing going on where they would embed the swf in the pdf.

But alas,RH doesnt seem to support a .swf file in a pdf. Very big shame that, considering how often I see, and use, animations and video files in PDFs.

suppose it will have to be a manual thing then.

one for the adobe request form.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RH has to create a Word document as what else would it send to the PDF printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp