Okay, I've done something to make matters worse. On the Master Page I've removed everything from the body area, so that it only contains header and footer content. Now every single topic I edit tells me I've modified the header and footer. I'm utterly baffled, because even the View toolbar says I'm only editing the body of the topics and I can see no obvious changes when I work.
Okay, I've cracked it. We update and re-publish our manual almost every day, so I added "Updated:" and an auto-updating date field to the header of the Master Page. This was the cause of my problem. Every time I edited a topic, the date in the header would automatically update, making RoboHelp think the Master Page had changed. The reason it confused me was because whenever I told it to only apply the changes to the current topic it would remove the banner image. I still don't know why it did that, but replacing the auto-updated field with a user variable (that I manually update) seems to have resolved the problem.
I've been having the same problem, except that I don't use an autodate or anything like that in my footer or header. And, I believe the reason your banner disappeared is that RH disassociated your topic from the master page when you chose not to apply the change to all topics. I used to experience this problem in RH 7 quite a bit, but, for a reason unknown to me, it hasn't happened in a while. While trying out a trial version of RH 8, though, it's been happening a lot.
I've only ever used RoboHelp 8, but now you mention it, my colleague used 5X and 7 without incident. Perhaps there's something about RH8 that makes it more temporamental?
I have noticed the following:
- If you edit a Master Page while topics are open, RH8 says the topic is different and you get the change prompt.
- Editing topics in HTML causes the prompt to occur a lot more often.
The first point does make sense, so it can be avoided by closing down all topics before editing a Master Page. The reason for second point is a mystery to me.
I will say this, I think this prompt needs a 3rd option to re-apply the Master Page to the current topic. That would save a lot of hassle.
I once accepted the changes and then diffed against the original that I had in source
control. It turns out that RH had inserted an empty <p> element at the top of the <body>
element (or something like that; I don't remember for sure, but the effect was an empty
line at the top of the page). And this happens without me going into the HTML editor.