• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to copy attributes from one composition to another?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using After Effects 7.0

I'd like to copy the same Zoom attributes from one composition to 30 photographs.

In Final Cut, you can copy attributes from one clip to another. Or from one still photo to another.

Is there a way to do that in AE 7?

Thanx

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

There are dozens of ways you can go here. You can duplicate the comp then replace the footage in the comp. You can create animation presets. You can select all of the animated properties and copy them and then paste into another layer. It all depends on your workflow.

I would suggest you look into animation presets. I have more than 200 custom ones in my system. They save a ton of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by zoom? Scale? If so, you can just select the Scale property from the layer you want, copy and then select all other 30 layers and paste. If there were any keyframes in the original layer's Scale property, they will be pasted from the current time.

From CS3 onwards, you can also copy whole top level property groups (for example, the whole "Transform" property group) and paste it to other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adolfo

Yes I mean 'Scale Properties'

I'm still getting used to my way around.

I can add another layer/another photo. But I still can't find where/how to copy Scale Properties.

Thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I see you edited your question, so I am editing my reply.

To copy the scale of a layer, open the main twirl of that layer and you'll see the Transform properties group. Open the twirl for that, and you'll see Anchor Point, Position, Scale, etc. Click on "Scale" and copy it (Edit > Copy, or Control+C on Windows/Command+C on Mac). Then select the other layers and just paste (Edit > Paste, or Control+C on Win/Command+V on Mac).

-------------------

Such a broad question

Anytime you add a new item you imported to the timeline or composition panels, it becomes a new layer.

Anytime you duplicate an existing layer (Edit > Duplicate), you get a new layer.

Anytime you split a layer (Edit > Split) you get a new layer.

Anytime you copy a whole layer (target the name in the timeline panel) and paste it, you get a new layer.

You also create layers when you use the Shape tools, text tools, or create a new solid layer, etc.

This list could go on and on, so instead, I invite you to read the After Effects Help section on Creating layers specifically, and the whole chapter on Layers and properties, in general. If anything isn't clear for you, then let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adolfo

"This list could go on and on"

no need for that

"I invite you to read the After Effects Help section"

I am currently going through many tutorials thanx

I  needed a specific answer to 'copying scale properties'

This answer was not easy to find

Thanx

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enigma: Look at the beginning of my (modified) last reply. I explained in detail how to copy scale (or other transform properties) from one layers to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I got that

Thanx for staying with me on this

I'm still searching for those steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little help please - thank you;

http://www.locationstudio.net/Properties2.jpg

http://www.locationstudio.net/Properties3.jpg

Still trying to understand the duplication of copying attributes/properties from one layer to another.

I'm trying to copy the movement, (I guess scaling/zoom), of one layer to another. But not neccessarily the initial size of the image. Just the way one image moves/zooms/pans etc.

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gave up on Motion, eh?

You can duplicate a layer and all of its parameters and animation and then replace the contents of the layer with new media.

See the manual for "replace." Basically, you select a layer, then select an object in your project list, and option-drag it to the timeline. Drop it on the selected layer. It's a bit tricky first few times.

bogiesan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello bogiesan

Gave up on Motion?

Well, enlighten me; I never really got into motion, I just thought After Effects was a much more stable platform for Panning and Zooming photos?

Do you know otherwise?

Thanx

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Mike, I remember your many posts on the video forum at apple.com as you were ramping up a major project. I, obviously incorrectly, assumed you would have been using the other applications in your Final Cut Studio package all this time.

You're going to love AE, very complex, though.

Support traffic at the cow is faster and thicker but the signal to noise ratio is far better here.

bogiesan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adolfo,

What if I wanted to take those same attributes:  scale, position, anchor point, etc.  and copy them from one PRECOMP to another PREcomp?  Is that possible?  I have a precomp in which I created "grid lines" in it with a track matte.  My client likes that at the beginning of the clip, but wants me to remove it after once second of playing.  I can't animate the property of "track matte" or no track matte, so I had to duplicate the precomp in the project panel, change the name, and add it to the current comp under the original... then I'm using transparency to make the top precomp at 0 opacity... I have to do this for about 60 clips... I need to copy all of the original precomp attributes and paste them to the new copied precomp with no track matte...

Is this possible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are dozens of ways you can go here. You can duplicate the comp then replace the footage in the comp. You can create animation presets. You can select all of the animated properties and copy them and then paste into another layer. It all depends on your workflow.

I would suggest you look into animation presets. I have more than 200 custom ones in my system. They save a ton of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I've been searching for the answer to this for a long time. I don't know how I didn't think of copy pasting the Transform settings since it works perfectly with the Effects :X. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines