• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to build a help system that allows end users to add their own help?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is possible, but what we want to do is basically combine all our help systems into one integrated help system. Our company has a lot of help in a variety of places:

• HTML Help/WebHelp
  • Knowledge bases
  • Wikis
  • Blogs
  • Word docs/PDFs

What we want to do eventually is to make it possible for users to add their own help, add feedback to topics and, naturally, we want everything moderated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2009 Oct 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you need some sort of wiki. Technically I guess you could have a RH project with links to all these sources. It is also possible to use scripting for some of the other things you want but whether that is the best use of your resources is a question only you can ask. I'd also question whether a wiki is the best solution in the first place!

Read  the RoboColum(n) for a tips and tricks on Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We looked into wikis, but the powers that be didn't like how cumbersome it was to navigate wikis right out of the box. I guess what I'm really wondering is if it would be possible to create something similar to RoboHelp's help, so that users have the option of searching both the "official" Adobe help, as well as the community help.

I did a little research, and it looks like Adobe uses a custom instance of Google to handle their search and Jive software for their online community. Then, I'm assuming they indexed everything using their Google appliance.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With RoboHelp 8 you can now include the contents of certain types of baggage files (e.g. .doc, .pdf) in your help files search results. That said, the search capabilities of RH ends with external content. Only internal content can be searched. Perhaps if you had a topic or series of topics that were little more than a series of links to external URLs this would suffice. If the topics were properly indexed this would make this easy to find.

Read  the RoboColum(n) for a tips and tricks on Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp