Expand my Community achievements bar.

send form. data from standalone pdf to LC Forms

Former Community Member

Hello,

I am new in Adobe LC ES platform and would like to ask for advice with following.

I need to provide user with a standalone pdf form, user should then be able to fill the form and send it to LiveCycle Forms server.

I originally thought that easiest way to implement it is via SOAP, but I have not been able to make some working HelloWorld example. I have red some articles that suggests some workarounds (pdf form -> webserver -> SOAP to LC server; or to use coldFusion).

Is there any tutorial or example which would describe posting of form to LiveCycle forms, when not using LC Workspace (not over mail or watched folders) ? Or what way would you suggest to deal with this ?

Do I need reader-enable form to make SOAP call to store form data by Reader?

Thanks.

4 Replies

Former Community Member

To make a soap call from Reader you will have to Reader Extend the form (using LiveCycle Server only). You can post the data to a servlet without Reader Extended and the servlet can interact with the Forms API to validate the data. I believe there is a sample on the DevNet site (look for articles written by Mike Hodgson). I am on a phone now so I do not have access to that content.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks Paul,

I am going to search DevNet. I recently found article (http://livecycleapps.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/submitting-pdf-form-data-over-the-internet-via-http/) which mentiones :

That would be nice way, I have no strong experience with server side java, so I would prefer something without writting servlets. Do You have any experience with this method ?

Former Community Member

I am not a programmer but you will need to use  some sort of server side program to make that call. It can be exposed through SOAP as well.

Paul

Former Community Member

It looks, that using web services may be after all most suitable for task needs.

Perhaps last problem I have is to properly bind pdf form  to a process variable.

I need to send pdf form to some livecycle process, which would store form entries to database. I am trying it in this way:

- as a process start poin is defined [Set Value] service with execute action.

- there is defined input, process, required variable "form" of type xfaForm with associated template-url pointing to mentioned .pdf form

- in [Set Value] service it is only asserted some parts of "form" variable to another process variables

tests:

If I run process via wokbench (right-click on swim line + ivoke process), it returns job-id and values are stored in db (internal adobe table created for this process). But if I send (soaps) directly the pdf form and sniff the response packet, there is :

<faultstring>

The input BLOB object should have attachmentID, remoteURL, or binaryData field specified.

</faultstring>

... and nothing is stored to db.

Am I doing wrong mapping (wrong variable type? wrong assertion? ) or is this way bad completely.

I have searched some article about the process side of WS binding, but haven't found nothing for LC 8.2.

Thanks for advice.