Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recorded an Assessment and it get stuck at text box entries

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Captivate 3 and have been sucessful in recording assessments in the past.  I am currently recording a tutorial on how to add pictures to a word document, resize, crop and title and comment on the picture.  The tutorial has what I call a "show me" then a "try me".  The demonstration (show me) works great.  The assessment (try me) I am recording directoy after the demonstration includes text box entries and this is the first time one of my assessments included those and they seem to be my issue.  First "interesting" thing that happened was that the text entry boxes spaned over the width of my project so I had to shrink them down to the targeted area.  Once I have them in the correct area I  and I run the project, everything works beautifully until I get to the text entry boxes.  I am able to enter text...but that is it.  I can't move forward or click anywhere else.

I am attaching screen shots...not sure it will help.

1. First screenshot is the first text box entry. where the words Living room need to be typed. 
  2. Second screenshot is the next slide where I thought I should be able to move down and place an X next to Paint All.  BUT as you can see I shifted the text box a bit and there is no evidence of the words Living Room.
  3. Third screenshot is where I shifted the text entry box up slightly to see only the word living is available BUT it looks like it now wants me to click next to paint all..but at the same time waiting for the word room to populate.  (Gosh I hope this makes sense)
  4. The last screen shot is showing the full text entry of Living Room and now looks like it wants me to check next to Paint All  EXCEPT I can't get past the first screen shot.

Thanks in advance and much appreciation any thoughts anyone can lend in sorting this issue out.

Sherrie

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

It is not very clear on your screenshots, but it seems to me that in the first screenshot the Text Entry Box is inactive right from the start (looked at the timeline). Same for second and fourth screenshot. Only the third one seems to have an active region for the TEB. An interactive object that is set to inactive, I believe you cannot have any interactivity. Could you check?

The entry in a TEB has to be confirmed: either by a Submit button (is not there) or by a shortcut (default is Enter). What

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not very clear on your screenshots, but it seems to me that in the first screenshot the Text Entry Box is inactive right from the start (looked at the timeline). Same for second and fourth screenshot. Only the third one seems to have an active region for the TEB. An interactive object that is set to inactive, I believe you cannot have any interactivity. Could you check?

The entry in a TEB has to be confirmed: either by a Submit button (is not there) or by a shortcut (default is Enter). What did you choose?

You spoke about TEB spread over the entire project, that could mean that in the tab Options of the Properties of this TEB, the option 'Display for entire project' was activated in the Timing. It is here that you can change the timing, and the active/inactive time period.

Perhaps this was the explanation you needed?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thanks so much for your response. I am a fairly new user and the information you provided is great and provides me quite a bit to look into. I was not aware I had to activate my Text boxes (makes sense though) nor did I realize I needed a confirm on my text boxes.

I will start looking into these things first thing in the morning and if you don't mind let you know if I have any additional questions on your advice.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Sherrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sherrie, normally you do not have to activate the Text Boxes, as a default they have a 'activate' and 'inactivate' region. But in you screenshots I cannot see the first one. Perhaps this is due to your shrinking the spread of the TEB's, I'm just guessing. If you tried to delete the existing TEB (select it on the stage or the timeline and Delete), and insert a new one, you will see the two regions on the timeline and in the Options tab of the Properties of this TEB.

Captivate is really worthwhile, I am glad to help you a little bit to enjoy working with CP.

Lilybiri

PS: I'm not an employee of Adobe at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your help. I love captivate, it's one of our solutions for elearning design ....issue is I am teaching myself the software due to budget constraints and have created some pretty impressive stuff so far. (what you saw not being one of them ). The challenge I have is that some probably pretty basic stuff such as what you brought to my attention is not included in the captivate book I purchased.

Do you have any recommendations on reading/reference material for CP3?

I will let you know how I make out with your guidance/suggestions.

Sherrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sherrie,

In regard to your comment about Captivate 3 reading material, you might want to take a look at Adobe Captivate 3 Essentials This will provide you with a good grounding in Captivate 3.

Best - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the recommendation Mark. I really like this book. It is the one I have been using so far and it has gotten me pretty far. I would also recommend it to anyone else reading this post.

I was just did not make any of the connections to the text box entries.

Sherrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sherrie,

Just got back home. In addition to the link, provided by Mark, personally I learned a lot from the e-book Tips and Tricks, by the moderator of this forum, Rick Stone. This is not that basic, but is supplementary to the Iconlogic material. The only book I ever bought (too much paper here, prefer e-books) is 'Captivate, The definite Guide' by Brenda Huettner, there should certainly be a version for CP3 (perhaps even second hand?). Mine was for version 1

And last but not least, in this forum I learnt a LOT, there are very wise gurus around. Being a total autodidact myself, I'm very happy to be able to help somehow.

Until later,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Lilybiri I am going to look into your recommendations below.

I also enjoy the forum. It is fantastic having a community of elearning professionals to lean on.

Sherrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources