• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF eBooks not secure

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Acrobat allows all authors to restrict printing, etc. WITHIN Adobe's Reader/Acrobat programs, it cannot prevent users from copying the file hundreds of times for people/users around the world. Essentially, no pdf eBook restricts pirate copying. The web allows instantaneous transmission of eBook files without cost or policing. Although Adobe is well aware of pdf limitations, they continue to promote the development of pdf eBooks. I ask: "For whom" and "At what cost to the developer/author"? Adobe hasn't any interest in developing even the most basic of anti-copy software for it's pdfs. Frankly, unless you plan to make over $10,000 writing a book (so you can afford the copy protection services), don't bother using a pdf format!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post. This is valuable information for us illiterate people who want to write anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If people are copying your book, you can rest assured your books are already selling 10 000 copies...

Open your mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...how do you turn a PDF into an eBook? What is the difference? And is anyone aware of a way to make the PDF/eBook turn pages. Like pagegangster or Virtual paper?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ebook just basically means a book in electronic format, and pdf enables the user to distribute the book in that format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have links to how can a very small company afford to secure a emagazine with a small subscription base when compared to large companies? I don't want our magazines to be "open" to piracy with the current PDF lack of security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use pdf drm packages. Some of them will apply charges per user, service annual subcribtions charges or Lifetime services.

Protectedpdf

Fileopen

DRM-x

Armjisoft

Drumlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree with you. Although the restriction of preventing other from copying can be cracked easily. But it works sometimes. And we use pdf for better viewing effect of readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple Password protection isn't the issue. Cracking programs are available, but that aside, what I'm looking to prevent is friends passing their password on to buddies so buddies can get a freebee. One's living is at stake here. This is not for hobbiests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think several are missing the real issue. I use Linux for pretty much everything. There is an option to print to .pdf, it is also available in Open Office. All I have to do is open a secured .pdf, then print it out. However when the print dialogue comes up I tell it to print to file and specify the file as .pdf.

There you have it. A FULLY "cracked" copy. I don't think the issue is with adobe, I think it is with the .pdf format.

Sincerely,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's think a little out of the box, folks. What makes you all think that simple page turner eBooks are going to make anyone real cash?

Hint, Acrobat 9 allows .swfs to play inside the .pdfs. A Captivate movie (which is a .swf) can be set to have an expiration date when produced.

So, make ebooks with attractive interactive content THAT GOES BYE BYE at a date certain. Want the interactive content? then go to the link provided and buy the eBook. A little clever organization, can make the eBooks much less attractive without the intereactive content. Lots of .swf wigets!

That way the copiers will simplly virally market your content for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the NICE post. This is valuable data for me and some people who want to write anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2009 Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is a pin in the balloon, for chrissakes.  I just spent all this time formatting four books I wrote to be Ebooks and make a million bucks.  So I was all ready to get the turnkey web op to charge for downloads, only to discover that the "secure" pdf's and pdf a's can be plucked out of a site with one program (which turns out to be a spyware program itself) and reversed online for free using convertpdf.net back into a word file, and strip any security settings in Word.  So then the "copywrited" material can be copied, changed, trashed, etc.

Anybody have an opinion about LockLizard, or any other encrypting program that claims to zip it all up into an impregnable fortress?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thanks for such a valueable information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been looking into LockLizard and although they have an impressive customer base, their clients must have deep pockets to afford the rates. Unless you have quite a few items to turn into ebooks and emagazines, your profits will non existent - in the red, possibly - once you deduct the cost of the product fee(s).

You might want to get together with a group of people and buy their perpetual license (one time fee) as opposed to a yearly fee, and do all the magazines through one person - a coop, I guess is what I have in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your imformative tips. They are all helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's think a little out of the box, folks. What makes you all think that simple page turner eBooks are going to make anyone real cash?

Hint, Acrobat 9 allows .swfs to play inside the .pdfs. A Captivate movie (which is a .swf) can be set to have an expiration date when produced.

So, make ebooks with attractive interactive content THAT GOES BYE BYE at a date certain. Want the interactive content? then go to the link provided and buy the eBook. A little clever organization, can make the eBooks much less attractive without the intereactive content. Lots of .swf wigets!

That way the copiers will simplly virally market your content for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not entirely sure what page turning has to do with security of one's electronic assets, although a pretty utility.

Captivate movie and interactive content, I'm sure is a fun thing to add and can also add pizzazz, but in my mind, has little to do with protection of assets, which is the topic of this thread.

The initial topic is about securing electronic assets to prevent passing magazines and books off to others for free or to have someone able to copy text from a PDF to another program and using it in their own, so easily. A time-based expiration date does in no way protect from pirates and the "freebees."

Our clients would not tolerate purchasing (we do non-fiction historical publications) a time-sensitive document.

"That way the copiers will simplly virally market your content for you!" for free?" is, no doubt, great for some markets, but neither for those seeking to make a living from the SALE and PROTECTION of said electronic asset; nor appropriate.

Your "out of the box" thought is good for another kind of e-books, but not for this particular thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines