• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 - change number of search results

Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

We're looking into upgrading from RH5 to RH8 and I notice that the Search returns only 10 results per page by default. Does anyone know if there a way to change this default or remove it? I know our users will be pretty peeved at the paltry 10 per page because we have thousands of functions to search and they won't like having to change the 10 to 99 when previously they were given all the results in one long list.

Thanks

Kate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to do this by editing the following line in the whform.js file in the Webhelp output folder:

var gnMaxRslt = 10;

It's a bit of a pain to do this every time I compile, so if anyone knows how to achieve the same result without reverse engineering I'd love to hear from you.

Also I edited whfhost.js so that the Rank column in the search results doesn't take up 50% of the space and it looks a lot better.

Cheers

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea Rick, consider it done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better still, have an option to display the results in the topic pane where there is rather more space.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter:

Until Adobe adds it as an OOTB feature, do you know of a way to customize RH8 so that the search results are displayed in the topic pane? Or maybe, display even the search text field in the topic pane/

Thanks,

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but no I don't.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kate,

I was able to use the first part of your suggestion to modify the title of the Rank column - thank you! Where in the whfhost.js file do you change the default column width?

Also, do you know of a way to make the left pane wider by default? It was fine as it was in RH7, but with the Rank column, it would be nice if it were a little wider.

Kari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kari,

I discovered that you can edit the whfhost.js and whform.js files in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock  to make the changes without reverse engineering the output (make sure you back up the originals first!).

To make the left pane wider and the rank column narrower, I edited whfhost.js on lines 3151-3159 as follows:

return "<TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CEllPADDING=0 STYLE='table-layout:fixed; width:105%'>" +
    "<THEAD>" +
     "<TR STYLE='font-weight:bold'>" +
      "<TD ID='OdinFtsTitle' CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer; width:75%'>"+gsTitle+"</TD>" +
      "<TD ID='DragSep'  CLASS='fr_ts' STYLE='cursor:w-resize; width:4px'> </TD>" +
      "<TD ID='OdinFtsRank' CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer; width:25%'>"+gsRank+"^</TD>" +
     "</TR>" +
    "</THEAD>" +
    "<TBODY ID='OdinFtsRslt'>";

You may want to tinker with the widths, but 75%/25% works ok for me.

Regards

Kate

Message was edited by: Peter Grainge hoping Kate doesn't mind me emphasising the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for this within my whfhost.js file and I don't see it...

The closest I could find were these two sections:

function writeTableHead()
{
    if(gbAIRSSL)
        return    "<TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CEllPADDING=0 STYLE='table-layout:fixed; width:100%'>" +
                "<THEAD>" +
                        "<TD ID='OdinFtsTitle'    CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer'>"+gsTitle+"</TD>" +
                        "<TD ID='DragSep'        CLASS='fr_ts' STYLE='cursor:w-resize; width:4px'> </TD>" +
                        "<TD ID='OdinFtsRank'    CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer; width:60px'>"+gsRank+"^</TD>" +
                    "</TR>" +
                "</THEAD>" +

return    "<TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CEllPADDING=0 STYLE='table-layout:fixed; width:110%'>" +
                "<THEAD>" +
                        "<TD ID='OdinFtsTitle'    CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer'>"+gsTitle+"</TD>" +
                        "<TD ID='DragSep'        CLASS='fr_ts' STYLE='cursor:w-resize; width:4px'> </TD>" +
                        "<TD ID='OdinFtsRank'    CLASS='fr_tt' STYLE='cursor:pointer'>"+gsRank+"^</TD>" +
                    "</TR>" +
                "</THEAD>" +
}

Is it one of these that I edit to make the rank column narrower or ideally, disappear (width = 0%)??

And when I think (thought?) I found this I edited the file and saved and it said it could not save it... "make sure that the path and filename are correct"... why can I not save it?

TCS2 on xp machine

Thanks,

-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the section. If you copy the widths from my post, you should see the results in your output. I have no idea why you can't save without seeing the set up on your machine. Is the file read-only?

Make sure you keep a copy of the original file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much RoboKate! I did save a copy and then I also saved this file to desktop and then pasted it into the directory to replace the old one (the only way I was able to edit). And generated - works like a charm!

Much appreciated.

-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp