Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor imported audio quality in Captivate 4

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2009 Oct 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some serious audio quality issues with Captivate 4.  I'm recording my audio in Audacity and importing it into Captivate.   The audio sounds great in Audacity, Windows Media Player, iTunes, and everything else I've tested it in.  However, once I import it into Captivate and press play, it sounds horrible.  It's thin, tinny, and robotic.  The degradation in quality is considerable.  I've tried recording my audio as both .mp3s and .wavs, but they both sound bad once imported.  I've also downloaded all of the available patches, including the patch specifically designed to address poor audio quality in Captivate 4.  I've tinkered with every audio setting I can find.  No luck.  I have noticed that the shorter/smaller audio files are less garbled, and really short files are sometimes not garbled at all.  I would record directly into Captivate, but the audio sounds even worse when I do that.  Anyone have any idea how I can remedy this situation?  Just for background info, I'm running Captivate 4 on a macbook running XP via parallels.

Thanks

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Hi,

Captivate 4 does not support 32bit float sample type. Can you please re-generate your sample audio file at 16bit sample type and import inside Captivate. Check if this resolves your quality issue.

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2009 Oct 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please tell us the settings (sample rate, bitrate, no. of channels, sample type) at which you are generating audio files from Audacity.

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mukul,

These are the settings for the mp3 files:

Bitrate:  128

Channels: 1

Sample Rate:  96000

Sample Type:  32 bit float

Thanks,

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Captivate 4 does not support 32bit float sample type. Can you please re-generate your sample audio file at 16bit sample type and import inside Captivate. Check if this resolves your quality issue.

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mukul,

That did the trick.  Thank you so much for your help.  I spent a great deal of time trying to figure that out, and once I changed the settings according to your suggestion, my audio sounds fine.

Thanks

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2009 Oct 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shawn,  I'm having the same issue that you experienced (Audacity MP3s --> CP4). My issue now that I can't seem to export an MP3 from Audacity that isn't 32-bit float. I can start with 16-bit MP3 or WAV files but, when I export and then view the new mp3 file, it's 32-bit float. (Sorry for the Audacity question in the CP4 forum).  Shawn, could you please contact me directly at alight9010 AT gmail.com.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I responded here in the forums because I figure other people might need this info as well.

In Audacity, I go to:

Preferences -> Quality -> Default Sample Format and set it to 16 bit.

Then click OK.

When you record new audio tracks, they should automatically be set to 16 bit.

Does that help?

Shawn

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE and DISCLAIMER**

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be

privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure and solely for

the use of the person(s) or entity to whom it is intended. If you

have received this message in error and are not the intended

recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this

message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the

intended recipient, be advised that any use of this message is

prohibited and may be unlawful, and you must not copy this

message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Shawn,

That's what I tried but I'm getting the following result.

After exporting the 16-bit recording to MP3, I open it in Audacity where it shows it to be 32-bit sample format. It's as if the preference setting is affecting the default for recordings, but not the default for exporting. Do you think the LAME MP3 encoder could be the problem here? I recently had to reinstall all my tools (Audacity, LAME, CP4) and this issue never happened to me previously.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I personally didn't have to reinstall anything. Have you tried adjusting the settings within the track itself? If you select the down arrow next "Audio Trac" on the left side of the actual track, you can set the Sample Format there as well.

Let me state this though, I had to rerecord my audio from scratch using these settings. I tried to export existing audio as 16 bit and it didn't work.

Hope this helps.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try to change the sample format when the file was opened in Audacity but, the exported file still resulted in 32-bit float. Further up stream, I have video files (mp4) from which I'm stripping the audio to MP3. I may need to look at that stripping process closer to see if I can force the 16-bit format.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity Shawn, what version of Audacity are you using? I'm on the latest (1.2.6).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've gotten this solved. I was encoding the original audio at 48000 Hz. When I changed that to 44100Hz, then edited the file in Audacity, exported as MP3, imported to CP4, the resulting sound was a million times better. Oddly, I'm still creating MP3 files that are 32-bit float - I can't seem to NOT do this with Audacity no matter what I try. But they sound fine in CP4 which is all that I care about in the end.

Anyway, thanks again for your responsiveness on this and I hope this helps someone else out there.... someday.

a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm glad you got things figured out. I know that before I got mine working, I was about to go crazy. Hopefully this process will be much easier for other people who encounter this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources