• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader Prints Strange Characters

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2008 Dec 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Reader prints files in a strange character encoding which looks like nothing - )*&#$@^(%)&%@#?><{::} and characters you cannot find on your keyboard. When printing from other PC's it's working perfectly. It does that with all languages and all PDF files.
Here is a scanned result of the printing:
img041.jpg (377.73 KB)

http://www.hotshare.net/image/100994-1898931441.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original language of the document?
What version of Adobe Reader?
Can you check for driver updates for your printer? ( http://www.drivermax.com/ )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've got the same problem.

I've got Vista 32 bit, newest Adobe Reader 9.2.0 (with all updates) and Canon Pixma IP4600 printer (it's home PC, PC and printer connected via USB, i'm the admin, but don't tell anybody the latter). Printer's driver are newest according to Canon page, on previously suggested DriverMax there are none for this printer.

I tried a few documents, all of the document's language (File -> Properties -> Advanced -> Reading options -> Language) is empty. Vista's language is Polish.

I tried the same document on my sister's XP, Adobe Reader 9.1.0 and the same printer with proper result.

The suggestion "File, Print, Advanced, Font and Resource Policy: Send for Each Page" is printer-dependent.

Looks like 9.2.0 issue. Can anyone help me?

Tomek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it print properly with Print as Image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried "Print as Image" as well as all other options which seemed that could change anything.

I've just installed Reader 8.1.3 (last of the 8) and it's the same. I'm now going to reinstall printer drivers.

PS I can't write replies in Opera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for double posting.

Before reinstalling printer drivers I've checked a few things and the results are:

Reader 8.1.3

-print normally: wrongly

-print as image: well

Reader 9.2.0

-print normally: wrongly

-print as image: wrongly

The good thing is I've found a way to print pdfs properly, the bad is I'm afraid to install any new Adobe Reader at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I had this problem in Adobe 8, the following solved it:

File, Print, Advanced, Font and Resource Policy: Send for Each Page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Pat,

The language of the document was English. Version is 7 but does it with 8 and 9 as well. Don't like the 9 because it's too slow on this computer and takes a lot of disk space. I'll try the driver thing but I believe it's not that the problem - the other computers print without any problems and have the same driver.

Dear ryvalry,

I tried to do what you say but unfortunately I can't do it. When clicking on the "Advanced" button I cannot change anything in the "Post-script" frame. What shall I do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2008 Dec 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure. Are you on a network and is your machine restricted?

Sounds like you may need to be a member of the local Administrator's group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be an Adobe Reader bug that is interacting with your spooler, similar to the problem I have reported here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/505695?tstart=30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have multiple computers on a network all printing to the same printer and only one of the computers has this problem ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem but it happens using Acrobat Standard 9.0 not reader and we have XP computers and a HP printer.   We can see this problem, resend right away and the second copy prints ok.  So far I've only seen this happen when we print a pdf form and even then it's very infrequent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem most commonly occurs when I am away from the office (and any printer) with my laptop, and do a print into the spooler.  Then, when I bootup back in the office the documents print out.  Usually this works fine, but some documents get garbled.  Unfortunately it is often hard to figure out which document I had tried to print, since the output is illegible.

No problem with FoxIt or PDF-Create, only Acrobat Reader.  And this has gone for several versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

busoppreviews: As I have written before - I have a printer connected to PC via USB, there is no network involved, only mechanically moving laptops.

PS Why on earth I can't reply on these forums using Firefox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding to garbled text, it seems to fix the problem on Vista by opening the .pdf file and setting the flag "print as image" on.

Go to: File/Print/Advanced/Print as Image.

Spooling takes a bit longer (but not that long) and it saves you a lot of paper (trees???).

Cheers,

Tremenduo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the pointer.  I have Windows XP, which apparently doesn't have the "print as image" feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe I have found a fix to the problem. I had a client who would only get the strange characters in the PDF's when they printed in Internet Explorer but Chrome would work fine (for reference they were running Win 7 64bit and Adobe Pro 9 I believe). If you go into the Control Panel/Devices and Printers/Right Click on Adobe PDF printer and choose printing preferences/Uncheck the box to "Rely on system fonts only; don't use document fonts". That should fix it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines