• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to open .xpj files

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with Adobe (case #181204271) for over two weeks now to resolve this issue.  I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest some troubleshooting procedures.  I have a compiled Flash Help file that I need to update for an upcoming release of our proprietary software.  Two weeks ago, I was able to open the working xpj file although RoboHelp was very slow in responding when attempting to open topics for updating.  Adobe advised me to replace the iWYSIWYG.dll file.  This did resolve the issue with the slow response of the application and I was able to update my project successfully.  Since that time, additional revisions are needed to the project before we publish the flash help file to our web server.  I am no longer able to open the xpj file. 

Not only am I unable to open the desired project, can’t I open the xpj file for all old projects and the sample project that comes with RoboHelp.  I have been instructed by Adobe to uninstall the application and reinstall under a different user profile with administrative rights.  In doing this, I received Active X error messages.  i can notcreate a new project in RoboHelp 7 for HTML either.  I was advised by Adobe to deleted the xpj and cpd files and try to edit the hhp file.  I am also unable to open the hhp file. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised that Support did not ask you to apply the three patches that were issued for Version 7, I don't think they will fix this problem but that cannot be ruled out and is the first thing to try. Please try that and post back.

Also see Item 40 in Snippets on my site. It relates to an old version but could still be the cause.

I am assuming that at least Clownfish is on a local drive and that we can rule out the project being on a network as a cause. Usually that would manifest itself in a different way in any case.

What error do you get when opening from the HHP file? Please insert any more images using the camera icon so that we can see them within the post.

Have you tried with anti virus software and firewall disabled? Only do that with IT permission and disconnected from the internet.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  I only found one patch to apply:

Adobe RoboHelp 7.0.1 - English, French, German, and Japanese

REgarding item 40 on your Snippets, when I atempt to open RoboHelp for Word, I get an error mesage that reads RoboHElp explorer is unable to start Word.  I have uninstalled RoboHelp X5 and the upgrade to RoboHelp 7 and reinstalled both.  Also had IT provide me with a new profile.  Unfortunately, these steps did not resolve the issue of being unable to open xpj files.

Yes, Clownfish project and the project I am attempting to open are on my local drive not on a network drive.

When trying to open the hhp file, I get the following error message:

error when attempting to open hhp file.png

error message when uninstalling and reinstalling and trying to create a new project:

after uninstalling and trying to create a new project.png

error when deleted xpj and cpd files and attempting to edit the hhp file

error when deleted xpj and cpd files and edit hhp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you search for the patches? If you used Help > Updates it should now find a second one and then a third. If you went to the download site, you should have found all three. However, as I said earlier, I think this is much deeper and now that RH for Word is not functioning, that is confirmed.

I think the last resort  would be to involve IT and get them to run www.revouninstaller.com (it's free) and uninstall both versions. Then, at first,install just RH7. If it works, then uninstall 7 and then install both.

Before you do that though, what are you trying to open and how. Are you trying to open a RH7 project with RH X5?

If you are trying to open a RH7 project with RH7, are you opening the application and then browsing to the project? Does the project appear on the Start Page of RH, if it does, then trying clicking the link there instead.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to open a RH7 project by:

• Browsing to the xpj file within the Help Project file on my harddrive and double-clicking thus opening it with RH7
  • Opening the RH7 application, clicking on Open and browsing to the project.  This generates the same error message as the above procedure

No, the project does not appear on the Start Page of RH.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!error msg when opening RH7 and browsing to the project from Open.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked about the start page as I came across an old note where someone had a similar problem after upgrading from X5 and that fixed it for them. However, if the link is not there, that kills that theory.

I've suggested pretty much everything I can think of. My money would be on RevoUninstaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded Revo Uninsaller and uninstalled RH X5 and 7.  Unfortunately, still unable to open xpj files. Really stuck now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What level of uninstall did you use?

Did you just reinstall RH7 as suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also are you 100% sure you have admin rights when installing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i used Advanced level of uninstall and yes, I reinstaalled RH7 as suggested.  My IT guy gave me a new rebuilt computer and I am able to open xpj files on it so although we did not find out what was causing the problem, I am able to update the necessary files.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Step 2. Open a window on the top floor of your building, make sure there is no one below, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp