Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 3 vs. 4

Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My health care organization currently uses version 3, and we are considering upgrading to 4.

Can anyone offer pros/cons for 4?  Is the right-click functionality bug-free?  That is really important to us.  We currently have custom publishing code and a right-click animation that work beautifully.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Jenny

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny

Let's see. If all you wanted was Right-Click, you might be well advised to hold back on the upgrade. You have other things to consider.

For example, in C3 some folks rely on the situation whereby you coax the playback controls up onto the main part of the movie by clearing the Borders check box. If you are doing that, it changes for the worse in C4 and it's no longer possible.

The TOC behavior changes in C4. If you used the Menu/TOC in C3 you could link to resources outside the project. (Word, PDF, etc.) Now you cannot. On the flip side, the TOC is much easier to maintain.

If you have C3 you have MenuBuilder available. C4 replaces that with the Aggregator. MB comes in handy for other things. Aggregator isn't as customizable as some would like it to be.

C4 has more output options. There is the Reviewer functionality where it outputs as AIR. And there is an ability to publish as AVI for YouTube.

C4 has drawing objects (Arrows, Circles, Rectangles & Polygons). C3 doesn't have that.

C4 offers widgets. C3 doesn't have widgets.

C4 offers more control over how the movie elements are published. Whether things are separate SWFs or are combined.

That's probably enough for now. In order to be fully informed, you should download the trial for C4 and kick the tires to see for yourself.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  Just to confirm, does right-click function bug-free in 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click works all right, but you cannot have accessibility options combined with it. When published to a LMS, and working with FP9 or above, normally there are no problems. BTW: you also have double-click as an option besides left and right click.

Another feature of CP4 I like personally very much is that you can edit captions in place. And last (but not least) the ability to use system variables and create user variables. You can p.e. use this in a very simple way to ask the name of the user and use this name in captions to address the user.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info Lilybiri!

However, what one finds attractive others find distasteful. Personally, I *HATE* the in-place editing. Dangit, when I double-click a caption I want to see the dialog!

The workaround is to double-click on a sizing handle. But I still wish it were an option we could choose. How the double-clicking behaves.

Since I forgot to mention the variables (and scripting) capabilities (which are quite nice) I'll also have to share the good and bad points of each.

If you use variables in your Captions, you may notice that the actual variable appears briefly before updating with the actual content. This can become a bit unsettling and distracting. And with the scripting, it's cool that you can create advanced actions. Not so cool the way you have to do it. The editor leaves a lot to be desired. And there is no copy/paste to transfer really cool scripts to other users.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Fine that different features get different reactions, this makes it all more interesting, not too annoying. For me in place editing has been a great timesaver, perhaps because I'm editing quite a lot. If I want the dialog box, I got used to choose Properties in the Quick menu.

Totally agree that the editor for Advanced Actions is somehow clumsy, but .. at least we have the abililty to control some variables without having to be script-savvy. And since there is this little baby (advanced actions) it only can get better (grow up) in the future.

Have a fine day (here it is almost sleeping time),

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sorry, but I have to answer that with a question. How long is a piece of string?

Nothing in this world is totally bug free. While I'm not sure it's a "bug", right-click will not function if you have Section 508 options enabled.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The number 1 reason to upgrade to Captivate 4 for me is the speed. Things are just happening alot quicker than with CP3. In CP3 you had alot of waiting time when working with big projects because when you clicked a slide or an object it always took a little while before it opened. In CP4 this is alot better so you will save quite a bit of time creating your projects in CP4 instead.

Also the variables and advanced actions are worth upgrading for in my opinion.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources