Exit

Menu builder exported as exe file but links does'nt work

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm using Adobe Captivate 3

I have created a menu builder that links to other sections (Captivate projects). I have set the properties for the links in the menu builder so they are self contained i.e. the Save file with projects is ticked and the reference is relative (no path) showing in the Link box. Files showing as htm files not swf. All the projects linked have a skin. When running the executable file it gives error message with only letter F on it. I can't think of any thing else to do, obviously it seems that the menu is not finding the linked files. Can any one think why or suggest a possible solution please.

Thanks

Ana

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ana

Indeed the all too generic "F" message is indicating that your MenuBuilder (MB) exe file cannot find the file it is linking to.

Anahad wrote:

I have set the properties for the links in the menu builder so they are self contained i.e. the Save file with projects is ticked and the reference is relative (no path) showing in the Link box.

This makes me wonder if you are under the impression that all you need to ship is the final MB result. If that's what you believe, you are mistaken. You need to ship the .EXE MB created as well as the file(s) you are linking to and hoping to open with what MB created. Just make sure all files are in the same folder and you should be good to go.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thanks for your answer. Yes I was under the impression that I only need the MB exe file. Now my question is do I need to ship the swf, htm, and the skin swf file for all links?

Cheers

Ana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rick

Following from my today's earlier e-mail. I've copied all the files but still given me the same error message.  I'm trying to run the MB exe from a web page, so I can send the URL to users. Which means that it's maybe creating a temp files so it can't locate the links. Any ideas please.

Thanks

Atika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I see multiple issues with that. First off, you really don't want to run a .EXE from a web page. There is simply no way to seamlessly do it. The user will forever be prompted with what to do with the file. Run it? Save it to the hard drive? I'd use MB to create flash based output to pop up on the web if that's what you are doing.

But assuming you wish to continue that way, you might try creating your links in MB so they point to valid URLs instead of simple pathing.

For example, link to http://www.SomeSite.com/SomeFolder/SomeProject.HTM and not simply SomeProject.HTM

And yes, all the files need to be present. Skin.SWF, standard.js, etc.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I have thought of linking to the URLs but have not tried it yet. As for the fist suggestion which seems better, I don't know how to create flash based output, could this be done using Captivate? Or different software?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Umm, it's an option when you export your MenuBuilder?

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick it works now.

Cheers

Ana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources