• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Showing/Hiding End of Line / CR / new line

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twice now I have accidently turned on the displaying of end of line characters and tabs and I can't get rid of them.  I have looked everywhere (and no show whitespace doesn't affect this).

Please save what's left of my sanity.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One handy thing in Eclipse (which feeds down into CFB too), is in the prefs one can type in a filter for the setting you're after.

Go Window > Preferences > type filter text: whitespace, and that's lead you to the correct screen to switch this off again.

🙂

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Adam - that's not it.  As in my original email, toggling the whitespace option does not affect this at all.  That adds other characters into the mix.

Thanks for trying.

What I am seeing are:

>> for tabs

and /r/n for return carriage/new line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry mate... clearly I didn't read what you'r written.  What a dork.

Anyway, I figured I owed you so I did some snooping around.

It's CTRL-FULLSTOP that switches that on and off, I reckon.

Just FYI, I worked this out by running with what you'd said... you'd somehow switched this on by accident, so figured it must be some bound key combination.  So just eyeballed all the key bindings until I saw one that looked about right.

It's odd that this bit of functionality is distinct (but very similar) to the whitespace thing I initially pointed you to.

Anyway... hopefully you're sorted now..?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam - you rock!  Thank you. I have actually tried running through all the keys and I thought I hit that one.  Guess not.

For us yanks, CTRL + Full Stop ... that would be CTRL-.   (had to think for a bit. been on this project for way too long).

CFB team - would be great to document this one somewhere.  I can't find it anywhere unless I try to assign something to CTRL-. and then I get a conflict warning.

Thanks again, Adam!

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an interesting challenge, Bill, about asking the CFB team to document that ctrl+. toggles display of carriage return characters.

Really, this is not a CFB thing, but an Eclipse thing, so where do they draw the line? There are so many things about Eclipse (and Aptana) that they could document, but if they did the CFB docs could be huge.

I do appreciate that it's a potential gotcha, and one might argue that they could at least list such gotchas. But if they chose not to, I would understand.

In the meantime, I am capturing hidden gems and gotchas that I share in a user group talk (which I presented last week at the CFinNC conference, and will present soon on my online CF Meetup, coldfusionmeetup.com). I also offer it on my site, at carehart.org/presentations/, and I just added this point there in the gotchas section, so thanks for bringing it up.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent point, Charlie.  It really is an Eclipse thing.

CFB guys, you're off the hook.

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind thought that some people will be buying this as a "Standalone" product.  If that is the case, then I would think that these things should be documented.  Although CFBuilder is built on top of the Eclipse framework that is like saying that we shouldn't document issues with ColdFusion server because of an underlying issue with Java.  People are not going to get it.  Either you own and support the product as a stand alone product or you offer it as a plug-in to eclipse and only support the plug-in.

I know it means that there is much more to support, but as Charlie said, where do we draw the line?

Sincerely,

Braden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind thought that some people will be buying this as a "Standalone" product.  If that is the case, then I would think that these things should be documented.

Correct.

I will be buying CFB.  I don't give a rat's arse that it's built on Eclipse or Visual Studio or... WordPerfect (!).  That Adobe are building it upon Eclipse is neither here nor there.  They're selling a product: they should be documenting that product.  If that means they need to integrate Eclipse docs into their own docs: so be it, but they still need to do it.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam et al.

I would like to point out that much of the Eclipse-specific documentation is integrated with the ColdFusion Builder Help system. And the key bindings information that you're looking for is most definitely there.

1. In ColdFusion Builder, click Help > Help Contents. The ColdFusion Builder Help system launches.
  2. Within the ColdFusion Builder Help system, you see a table of contents in the left pane. Select the Workbench User Guide book, and navigate to Reference > User interface information > Development environment > List of key bindings.
    Or simpler, you can just search for "list of key bindings" within the Help system, it will point you to the correct Help topic.

Hope this helps,

Mallika Yelandur

Technical writer, Adobe ColdFusion Builder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mallika!!!

Sincerely,

Braden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation