• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Server Output Webhelp Pro or Webhelp

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Robohelp 8 HTML, Robohelp 8 Server and Webhelp Pro. The Search and Index that displays on my Local are totally different that those displaying on my Server. I am not sure why this is, but the Search and Index on the Local look like what should be created by Webhelp Pro and the the ones on the Server, look like what I had before I upgraded from Robohelp 7 HTML and before that Robohelp 5.

When I open any wh*****.js file in my Webhelp Pro Output file, the first line say ‘//            WebHelp 5.10.xxx‘, with the ‘xxx’ different numbers

I am not sure where I got the Webhelp Pro version information from put I always update the information below as soon as I upgrade.

My system attributes are:

RoboHelp HTML V8.0

RoboSource Control 3.1

RoboHelp Server V8.0

WebHelp Pro 5.50 (7.00.145)

Attached are examples of what they look like

What is the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know my eyesight is not as good as it used to be but that attachment is virtually unreadable. Any chance you can post an example having zoomed in so we can actually see the contents?

I do wonder though whether you are looking at the right location on the server. If you look at the output after generating and before publishing and the index loos OK, this is almost definitely the case. Check your publishing location and look again. I also wonder if you are using the same server as you were with previous versions of the RH Server application. Might it be best to remove all the old legacy projects as that would stop any confusion as to which output to look at.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking at the right location. If I make changes to topics those changes show up and have always shown since I upgraded.

I have enlarged the Local and Server images in the attachement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pointing to the same URL address. Before I upgraded to Robohelp 8 we used RoboEngine 4.0 now we use RoboHelp 8 Server.

The enlarged images are still no good, I will work on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may help if you use the camera icon on the toolbar to add images rather than the attachment button.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the camera icon. Attached is the Local server and Index

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the Server search and Index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd make sure you are starting from a clean slate. Delete the project from the RH server using the web administrator interface. Next ensure there are no files left behind by logging on to the server box and checking the following directory:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp Server 8\robo\secure_server (if the project is protected)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp Server 8\robo\server (if the project is not protected)

Only when you are sure there is nothing left behind, republish your output watching out for any error messages in the publish dialog. Report back what you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2009 Oct 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything you asked me to, deleted the project on the server, made sure there were no files left on the server and then republished.

The republished project on the server looked exactly the same, and the Local looked the same and as before the local and the server search and index looked different.

I then decide to create a new WebHelp Pro Layout, made the proper changes and published to the server with the exact same results.    

Any other suggesstions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I clarify that the "local" copy you speak of is the generated output from your single source layout and that you are using the "View Results" button after generation. Also how are you seeing the "server" copy. Is it via the Web Administration UI, manually on the server or via a application? If the later, are you sure the application is calling the correct location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

rwrich21 wrote:

I could not find the camera icon. Attached is the Local server and Index

Are you using the web interface to reply? If so, it's shown here.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am viewing the Local after the successful completion of a Publish.

There are several way to view Local, I prefer to got to the Webhelp Pro Layout, Right click and select View.  When viewing the server I go to our company web site and click on the link to the documentation web site. I also could just enter the URL address or on the Robohelp Project go to File, View and select Primary Layout from Server.   No matter which one I choose they display the same. It calling the correct location because if I update a Topic I can see the changes that I have made the problem is that the Search and the index look different between the Local and Server.

Also if I did not mention it before the Local Index scrolls down as you enter characters when attempting to find a topic, the Server index does down scroll for the numbers between 1 and 3 but when the number 4 is entered I get the message 'LOADING INDEX' and it seems to never load. When an alphabet is enter nothing happens. This is the main reason why I am trying to find out why there is a difference between the Local and the Server Search and Index.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the generated output files published to the company website? Do you use the SSL publish option? If so, do you have the "Republish All" option set? If the files are manually copied, can you be sure that all the generated files have copied across successfully?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand what you mean by SSL publish option.

I usually use the Generate project layout form the Project toolbar, I generate and then immediately publish. I only set the Publish all option when I feel I need to because it saves time on publishing and there is no need to publish all when on a few things have changed.

Since I have been talking to you about this problem I have been using the Webhelp Pro Layout, Left clicking it and walking through each step to insure correctness and making sure the publish all option is set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry SSL = Single Source Layout so it sounds like you are publishing directly from the WebHelp Pro wizard. That's fine. Can you run a test and see if a brand new project published to a seperate area on the server has the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I have change and tried everything you asked me to.

I created a new area on the server and published my project to it and still there are diffference between the Local and the server search and Index.

I created a new project and published to the new area, and still have different looks between the Local and the Server search and index.

Below is from the Output view:

*********************************************************************************************************

Finished processing Full-Text-Search data in 273 sec(s)

Applying WebHelp Pro 5.50 Template...
    ..................................................................................................
    Finished applying Template in 1 sec(s)

Processing Mark of the Web...
    Finished compiling WebHelp Pro in 1029 sec(s)

Successfully published to "PAID".

********************************************************************************************************

Below is the link to our web site for outr users

http://10.224.128.88:8080/robohelp/server?area=paid_docs&prj=paid

Why is the local look of the Search and Index from the Webhelp Pro output not being displayed on any of the Server areas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2009 Oct 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you look at the output before you publish (i.e. using the View Results button after you generate).

I have to admit to running out of ideas here. It does seem to me that there is some legacy files being left behind as this sort of thing has not been reported elsewhere. How would you feel about zipping up your project and sending it to me? If you don't mind doing this, let me know how big the zipped file would be.

Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the Local should. The Index does scroll as characters are entered and the Search is the latest looking one.  The one thing that is different is that there is a Search input on the toolbar on the Local. In my default window I do not check the box to add the Search input on the toolbar and on my Server it does not show up.  Is my default Window working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By all means try creating a new window (just make sure your default SSL is WebHelp Pro before you do so) and assigning this to your single source layout properties.

Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have some questions here if I may.

First off, I'll state right out that when you use the WebHelp Pro layout option, you intend to be publishing the output files to the RoboHelp Server. Sounds like there are no issues here. But my question of the OP would be to ask if you are going to view the files from the server, why do you even care that the locally viewed output differs in some way from the server output? Does it simply bother you that they differ or are you saying you want the server output to match what you see locally?

@ Colum - I believe you are a RoboHelp Server user now, no? I don't see anywhere in this thread where you report you have run the WebHelp Pro output locally and have advised whether it looks different for you between the two. If you did, I missed it and apologize, as the thread is a bit long.

To me it would stand to reason that the output may look different if I run it locally off my own hard drive as opposed to viewing it as it is served from the RoboHelp Server.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am publishing to Robohelp Server. There are two reasons why this matters,

1. Before installing Robohelp 8 I never had this problem.

2. The index scrolls as you enter characters on the Local, it does not work on the Server and thats a big problem.

The way the search on the Server looks I can live with that because it is working, I just think the difference between the Local and Server index looks is causing the scolling problem on the Server index. Its like two separate containers but the information within each container is the correct information.

I created a new Window, changed the position of the Index, Search and Glossary on this window and generated and published. This position change was seen on the Server but was not on the Local. The Local Index still scrolls and the Server index does not work. 

Rick might be right about not worrying about the Local because the changes to the new window only worked on the Server.

Maybe the only problem I do have is why the Server Index does not work.

Any suggestion on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An earlier post indicated that you had created a new destination path on the server, with no luck. However, it seems that you did nothing to your local destination path.

You might try (in Win Explorer) emptying both the local generated folder and the server published folder, then re-generating and re-publishing.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emptied the Local folder and deleted my Server project. I then generated and published my project with no change in the results.

I then decided to tab down the index from 1 to zzz using the tab key. It was a slow process but I did this to avoid the index hanging up and getting the message 'Loading Index'. In the past I would get this message and 30 minutes later I still had that message. When I finally tabbed to zzz, 7 minutes later, I then entered any character or digit into the Index enter box and the index scrolled for anything and to everything.

I then did a refresh and we were back to no scrolling and getting the 'Loading index' message. 

It would appear that for some reason the Index is not being loading properly or slowly when the Index is accessed.

I do have a large project

5,548     Topics

10,606   Total Files

.CPD     20,044 KB not corrupted unless or 1 MB

.HHC     200 KB

.HHK     845 KB            

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since nothing has seemed to work, how do I recreate or build a new index?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A left field suggestion is to check if Mark of the Web is turned on, and try the opposite setting to see if that makes a difference. My thought is maybe MotW is on, hence working locally, but it is causing problems on the server. See snippet 74 on Peter Grainge's site. It's about baggage files specifically, but it couldn't hurt to try.

As for recreating the index, you could try the Smart Index Wizard. I've never used it myself, so don't know what sort of job it does.

(Or the source index file is just a text file named [projectname].hhk which you could play with if you are comfortable with figuring out xml.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp