Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting snippets after embedding RH8

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH8 HTML

Im wondering if there is a way to format a snippet of text after if inserted it into a topic.

I want the text to remain unformatted while its in the snippet, but when I embedd it I want to be able to apply numbering, or bullets or whatever else is needed.

this has come about because I have a lot of short descriptions about a field in a window and in some places listing them would be useufl, but in other having no bullets would also be handy, I dont want to constrain myself to formatting in the snippet itself.

I can use the bullet icon in RH but its not the bulelt style I want, I try to apply my custom bullet but it wont apply, the only way I can do it is to code the HTML manually, which does work. But having to do this 100 or so times is going to become veeeeery annoying and time consuming.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply a style after the snippet has been added to the topic but that is about it. Could you create a list or multi-lish style that you could apply?

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Isn't it easier to put those short text in variables?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that, using variables, but its likely that within these small descriptions that I will have variables. So I didnt think a variable, within a variable would work. So I ditcehd it in favour of the snippets.

I dont really understand it though, are you guys able to apply custom list styles to snippets?

Mine wont work, only the default 'disc' bullet or standard numbering, nothing based on the styles I've made, unless I hard code it....

a bug perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A snippet is just a HTML file with a different extension. I always go to html mode and add my style sheet in html (<link rel="stylesheet" href="<path to your style sheet>" type="text/css">

Save your snippet and you can now select all the styles from your style sheet. These styles are retained in the topic you use them. (Use the same css in the topics as in the snippets, otherwise your styling will be lost.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I see that.

My snippet is created based on a new topic using the same style sheet. So the snippet and the topic it is to be embedded into both use the same style sheet.

I can format the snippet itself, and the text within it.

but once I have embedded that snippet in to a topic it retains all formatting, no problem here.

but now, I want this snippet to be in a bullet list, and I want to set that formatting in the topic that holds the snippet, not in the snippet itself because I want to use the snippet in other topics where I dont want to the bullets.

I can do this by hard coding, but not using the styles toolbar. it only applies the default bulelt list.

more tomorrow....home time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I didn't quite grasp is, sorry.

If I understand correctly now, you want to place the snippet inside a list or so.

When I create a RoboHelp Multilevel list, I can't do it trough the WYSIWYG and when I add it in html, Robo ignores the Multilevel list:-(

If I create an ordered list or an unordered list with the list buttons, I can simply drag the snippet in the list.

So, do you use the RoboHelp Multilevel lists? Or am I completely missing the point here?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit

FIXED

Thanks, turns out creating the formatting first, then dragging it in like you said does the trick. So styles must be applied before the snippet is inserted, not after.

Great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great.

If you also want to style the lists after adding the snippet, try the wish form.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp