• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the .chm output file name

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently working with a project that needs to have the .chm output file name changed. The current .chm name has an underscore in it (test_test.chm). However, I need the file name to have a space and not an underscore (test test.chm)

Is it possible to do this? The project was created a while back so spaces in file names may have been accepted by RH at that time. I would greatly appreciate any and all help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Assuming that RoboHelp doesn't allow you to change it in the dialog, you should always be able to change the file name in Windows Explorer after you generate.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick:

Yes, I can change it in Windows Explorer but this project may be worked on by other parties; therefore, I need to make sure that the output file name is correct. It would cause major confusion if I were to go in and change it after each publish, especially if another writer was not aware of the issue.

I was told to go to File =>Rename Project. I tried to do this but it did not work.

Do you know of any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Typically you configure the output file name in the Single Source Layout properties.

Open the Single Source Layouts pod, then right-click the layout and choose Properties.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no luck. When I configured the output properties the file is still publishing with the underscore(_) in the name instead of the space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just be aware that spaces have traditionally caused issues with chm files. I've included a couple of links with references to space/special character problems.

Helpware.net: HTML Help 1.x FAQ

Microsoft.com: BUG: HTML Help does not correctly merge the .chm files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response!

I do understand that spaces can cause issues with file names. Unfortunately the application is currently trying to call the Online Help system with a space in the file name and not an underscore. Right now it would be more work to go into the application and change the .chm name since it is updated "once in a blue moon".

Does anyone know of any way to make the underscore a space or is this something I have to live with?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is it more work for? Surely your developers can do a find and replace in the code in about 15 seconds. Personally I'd have thought that if they trult understand the difficulties with blanks in the file name it would be enough of an incentive to change the application.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all

@Colum and Amebr - Spaces in the CHM file name don't seem to be an issue for singular CHM files and tnewland82 hasn't cited any issues thus far by using the CHM in this configuration. This would seem to infer that a merged CHM configuration isn't in use.

@tnewland82 - Can you confirm or deny that for us? Additionally, it would seem that the only recourse for you is to ensure you rename the CHM after it has been created. There doesn't seem to be a way to override things. I would heartily suggest you report this as a bug to the Adobe RoboHelp Development team. Link is in my sig.

And in thinking about this a bit, I'm wondering if you can try the following. Remove the space. Place the cursor insertion point where you want the space to appear. This next bit has to be done using the number pad as it has special encoding. So if you are using a laptop, it will prove to be somewhat of a challenge. Press and hold the Alt key, they type the numpad numbers 0160. You should see a space inserted. See if RoboHelp will accept and retain that.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp