Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader 9.1 - Fatal Error : Acrobat failed to connect a DDE server

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have some users telling me that when they try to open a pdf attachment in Outlook 2007. Nothing happens. The system just sits there as if you did not click on the attachment. If you wait long enought a popup box from adobe reader comes up and says:

Fatal Error

Acrobat failed to connect a DDE server.

All the PDFs are very simple, just simple scanned images or converted over from a document into a PDF.

I've tried repairing the install and still had no luck - same behaviour. The only way the pdf opens is if we go into task manager and close the AcroRd32.exe process or logoff and log back in.

If it helps, the most recent system change was the upgrade to IE7 and a new anti-virus software.

Thanks,

KEvin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am also getting the same error message also upgraded to IE7 and using Sophos Anti Virus...

Fatal Error

Acrobat failed to connect a DDE server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, we upgrade to Sophos Anti-virus as well.

It looks like things are pointing towards Sophos.
Our Cisco VPN clients are having issues connecting back into the office after the upgrade to Sophos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen 3 cases this past couple of weeks. Users have been using Adobe Reader 9.0, Sophos, and IE 7 without problems. All 3 started getting this error after they went to Reader 9.1.

For the first 2, after I ended all the AcroRd32.exe processes, and had them reboot, I haven't heard back from them since. It's been a few days. For this third one, I just ended the processes so I will have to wait and see if the user calls back. Seems like the problem is with the new 9.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like we found the issue. It was sophos with it's application control. We had to turn off the on-access scanning for the application control policy. Now the PDFs open fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed LOGMEIN today and started getting the Fatal Errors:Acrobat failed to connect a DDE server.  So, it is not just the Sophos or whatever the previous common denominator seemed to be.  How  do I fix this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No solution I am afraid but same problem, running full version of AVG and problem hit immediately after Adobe Reader 9.1 upgrade.  Pretty darn sure problem is in the upgrade but the relevant Restore Point was overwritten before I figured it out.  Any advice welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines