Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 8.0 generated output not viewed in Windows 98/ Vista

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I have recently downloaded the trial version of Robohelp 8 in order to solve a problem that I had been seeing with a project I had previously created in robohelp 6. Users of Windows Vista are unable to view the generated output, the error message states that the help was greated in a windows help format which was used in a previous version of windows and is not supported by Vista.

What do I need to do to make the generated help viewable for Vista users? Is the project, created in Robohelp 6 originally, salvagable?

Regards,

Niall.

p.s. I did a search for this and was unable to find the specific problem addressed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niall.

Do you have the "Republish All" option set in your single source layout? My hunch is that some of the output files have some code inside them that were generated in the earlier version. By republishing all files, this would overcome this, Let us know if this works.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for that. Can you tell me how I select that option? I've right clicked on my Primary Layout (WinHelp 4) and selected properties. I cannot see the option then.

Regards,

Niall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Sorry Niall I hadn't realised you were outputting WinHelp. Scratch my last advice that was aimed at WebHelp output. Have your users got their Windows OS setup to allow the display of WinHelp files. Read this link.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, thanks again.

The engineers have decided to drop the .hlp files and are now asking for me to send them a .chm, .html or  .xml file. Unfortunately, when I try to generate the output using Microsoft HTML Help or Webhelp as my primary layout I lose the table of contents. The Contents tab is still displayed but it isn't populated.

Do you know if there's anything I can do to rectify this?

Regards,

Niall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just check whether you are still using the RH for Word application to generate your CHM and webhelp output? You'd be much better off using the RH HTML application for this purpose. Using the RH for Word application is a bit like using a pair of industrial sized pliers to remove a splinter. It works but you are using a tool not specifically designed for the purpose.

You need to understand that CHM or WebHelp output uses HTML (or XHTML in RH8) rather than the RTF files used for WinHelp. Also CHM files are specifically designed to be run locally on the end user's PC and installed by an application. WebHelp is a collection of files better suited to viewing online (or on a company intranet) via a browser. The choice is yours.

If you migrate to the RH HTML application you can easily import either your HLP or RTF files to get you going. You'll find the interface very easy to use as well.

Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I've started using Robohelp HTML and you're right, it is much easier. Unfortunately the old table of contents that I was using in Robohelp for Word for the Win Help out put doesn't seem to be imported across. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks again,

Niall.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo! now you are really pushing the boundaries of my memory. It was 10 years ago that I last migrated a WinHelp file to RH HTML. I thought the TOC should come across as is. How did you bring across the content? Was it via the WinHelp file? That was how I did it. if you used the RTF file, maybe that is why your TOC doesn't appear. If it doesn't I'm not sure there is an easy way to reproduce it. You can auto generate the TOC but this may not give you the TOC order you want.

Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out it was simple enough. You just generate the TOC in the HTML help project and Bob's your uncle.

Thank you for your patience this morning, you've been a great help.

Regards,

Niall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp