• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is UTF8 supported in version X5?

Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings ~

I'm working with a RoboHelp help file in WebHelp format written in French.  Having problems with characters displaying inappropriately via IE7 (i.e., blocks replacing accents, Chinese characters replacing others).  As a test, I have tried commenting out

<meta http-equiv=content-type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"> on the TrueCode tab for various topics, but RoboHelp reinserts this line when I recompile.  Is it possible to override the default characters set in X5?  I have RoboHelp 7 and X5 installed on my laptop, although only using X5.  Would uninstalling 7 help?

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH7 is unicode compliant so why not use it?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us here have had mixed results with version 7.  More than anything, it tends to crash during compiling.  We decided to stay with X5 for the present.  Is X5 not unicode compliant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not or I would have confirmed that.

RH7 should not crash during compiling. From the number of posts you have made, it looks like you have not tried investigating that via the forums. Might be worth trying.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a similar question to encoding in RoboHelp. How can I get RoboHelp 8 to change the "UTF-8" encoding to another one, perhaps "windows-1252"? Is this possible? I think, the encoding is stored in the *.xpj file, so that I can change the encoding with an editor manually! Am I right or is there another way?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I can see, the UTF8 encoding is embedded within the program. RoboHelps own files (.apj, .xpj, .ssl) are also encoded in UTF8, so there's no way I can think of.

Just for completeness:

If you check the option Convert RoboHelp edited topics to HTML (under tools | options), Robo will remove the XML declaration with the character declaration from the output (WebHelp anyway). But this will (probably?) only solve your problem if you are having problems with the XML declaration, not with the file format. The HTML files are still in UTF8...

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a converter tool. I'll post later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shasa

Email me via my site and I will send you a link to download the encoding tool.

You install it as a program and then you can apply whatever encoding you want to your output files. It works on one folder at a time so you have to work through all the output folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp