• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from word - Headings not spliting like in RB7

Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used RH7 to import a Word document user manual. RH7 was able to split the large documents into useable pieces at the headings. In RH 8, I can only get it to import the whole document. The requirments are for the table of contents to link to specific areas in the document defined with headings down to and including level 4. We need to eliminate as much scrolling for the user as possible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

When you import, you need to tell RH where to create the topics based on

your styles in Word. Look for an Edit Word settings button on the import

dialog - that's where you can see a list of the Word styles & then use

the "pagination" field to indicate that this style should trigger a

split into a new topic. I do the same sort of thing when pulling my

FrameMaker docs into RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import, you need to tell RH where to create the topics based on

your styles in Word. Look for an Edit Word settings button on the import

dialog - that's where you can see a list of the Word styles & then use

the "pagination" field to indicate that this style should trigger a

split into a new topic. I do the same sort of thing when pulling my

FrameMaker docs into RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I don't follow the settings are not invoked by the import routine. You have to go to Project Settings. You set them by clicking the Edit button there and that applies to future imports.

rh8_import_word.gif

Notwithstanding that there is an Export button, you cannot save different settings and browse to the required settings next time! That is only for Linking.

You might want to suggest some changes here.

The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested Peter & I can get the import to offer that Edit button I was talking about - I used the Import Word Doc choice off the Starter screen to create a brand new project; selected my Word doc and then the Import dialog popped up - after the first screen asking about converting TOCs, Indices, and Glossaries, the Next screen offers that "Edit conversions settings for Word documents:" button.

I'm using the TCS2 version of RH8 p.203 - maybe that has something to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about importing into an existing project. Try that please.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to work also - I right-click on the Project Files icon in the Project View, choose Import and am presented with the same Import Content dialog I had before. It does a little scan of the doc to see what styles are in use and then presents a list for pagination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes you are right, I was mixing it up with another problem. Thanks for picking that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp