• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Serious RH 8 Problem

Oct 24, 2009 Oct 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been using Robohelp 8 for a while now and have had no problem opening files, creating AIR ouputs, etc. However, this morning, I opened my project and everything in the WYSIWYG editor window was greyed-out and couldn't be edited. Then when I clicked on the HTML editor view, everything looked fine, but when I went back to the WYSIWYG editor view, there was nothing but a red box with <xmlpi> inside it. If I compile the system using the AIR single source, the AIR file looks fine, but I have to be able to edit the content. Also, I thought maybe something went wrong with the project itself so I started a brand new project and opened the first default topic and it had the exact same issue.

I would appreciate any help anyone could offer. I would prefer to not have to reinstall it if I can get away from it. Thanks.

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2009 Oct 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the editor any Snippets will appear greyed out. XMLPI stands for XML Processing Instruction. Looking at both a Snippet and a topic containing a Snippet, neither contain that tag but somehow I suspect there is a link,

There was an issue with RH7 where after upgrading some topics appeared blank but that was fixed with a patch and yours is the first report of this with RH8. If it was a general problem, we would have seen it by now so normally we would be thinkig that either something has clobbered your installation or your project. The fact that you get this with a new project suggests the installation but let's try one other thing first.

Open one of the supplied sample projects and see how that goes.

I am assuming your projects are on your local drive and that no source control is involved.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2009 Oct 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I just tried to open one of the sample projects and it also does not work. When a topic is opened, I can see the table formatting and the text. Everything is greyed-out though and I can't insert a cursor anywhere to edit anything. Also, the images don't show up. Instead they just appear as grey boxes with the image filename within the box. I clicked on the HTML view and then back to the Design View and again, everything is wiped clean except for the little red box with the XMLPI tag. If I close the topic and then reopen it, I can again see the page with everything greyed-out and if I repeat the HTML thing then it repeats.

I have attached images of all three stages (for one of the sample projects) - greyed-out design view, html view, and XMLPI red box after going back to Design View.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be going for an uninstall and reinstall as something is fundamentally wrong. It is a fairly quick process with RoboHelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the uninstall didn't seem to work either. I removed Robohelp 8 using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs selection. It was an upgrade license so I then re-installed Robohelp 7 and then re-installed Robohelp 8 (via my license from the web). Robohelp 7 is working fine and not suffering any of the problems, but when I opened the new installation of Robohelp 8 (a sample project), it did the exact same thing as it was doing before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think maybe I know what is happening. If you have bought the RH8 upgrade, you cannot also have the RH7 version installed. I thought the install prompts you to uninstall RH7 but maybe not.

Given the problems you have had, you need to get back to a squeaky clean start point. I would use http://www.revouninstaller.com to remove both versions. Use the Advanced uninstall. We've had good reports of it on these forums but every setup is different so that has to be at your own risk and with the approval of your IT guys.

Then install RH8. You do not need to install RH7. What will happen is that during the install you will be prompted for both the upgrade licence number and your RH7 licence number.

See how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help with this, but unfortunately that did not work either. I used the program you sent to uninstall both 7 and 8 and then re-installed 8, but it still behaves the same. Also, I noticed that every time I go from html to design view, it adds another one of these into the code:

<?XML VERSION="1.0" ENCODING="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<HTML XMLNS="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<META NAME="generator" CONTENT="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>

</BODY>

</HTML>

If I go back and forth three times for example, then this section of code is repeated 3 times around the <BODY> content (and so forth). Is there somthing on my laptop that is messing up the xml part of this or anything. I noticed that when I installed RH 8, it asked me if I wanted to install the Control program and another program. Could something be wrong with these because I didn't uninstall them.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Robert Lashlee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Control program, do you mean RoboSource Control? No you don't need those.

You have admin rights I assume. If so I don't know what else to suggest as nothing like this has been reported before.

There has to be something about your environment but against that, you were using RH without any problems. Have you spoken to IT?

Also try the WebGraphic sample project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be something going wrong with the way xml is now used with Robohelp as it works fine in the html-based RH 7. Is there a specific MSXML Parser that I need or does it access that in any manner? I really need to get this up and running or I just wasted a $500 upgrade. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I delete out all of the xml references in the html view and then go back to the design view, it will work ok, but then when I save the file or go back to the html view, it puts the xml junk back in there by default and the problem repeats itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if I double-click on the greyed-out text a bunch of times and have Bug Finder enabled, it brings up MS Visual Studio 2008 as the debugger and lists the following error:

Unhandled exception at 0x6063992f in RoboHTML.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

I'm not sure if that helps or not. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH installs all it needs but it looks like something has clobbered XML handling on your machine. The fact that it was OK sort of implies that. Was Visual Studio installed or anything else XML related installed on your machine at the time things went wrong.

Have you got a got a Restore Point you can go back to?

Beyond that you could try Technical Support or your own IT. I don't think RH is the problem or we would have seen this before and you would not have ever been able to use it.

Whilst I am out of ideas, I would be interested to hear the end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like someone in my IT department or someone else installed something on my laptop on Friday. Luckily they created a restore point right before that. I restored back to last Friday, uninstalled RH 8, and then re-installed it. Now it is working fine. The bad news is that I have no idea what was installed so I'm worried when I power back down, they will try to install it again (not your problem - something I need to dig around with IT about). We'll see. Nonetheless, thank you for your help on this issue. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well at least you are working again and RH is off the hook. Glad to have helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp