• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can PPT Support Flash Video?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got some flash video, and want to insert in ppt for class presentation, can ppt support flash video? How to make that happen?

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there are much smarter people than I on this forum, I have attempted the same with no success. SWF is simply not supported as of PPT 2007. In my opinion, you need to use one of the many video converters available (e.g., download.com, search on "video converter" and "SWF"). Turn the video into a compatible format, then import. Because PPT is from Microsoft, converting to WMV makes it a good choice with which to start.

Keep in mind:

1. File size. It may not matter for your project, but going from SWF to video can greatly increase the file size of the clip. That MAY bloat your PPT file size. I say may be cause I cannot recall if videos are stored within the PPT file or linked. Even if they are linked, which means they will not increase your PPT file size, there is another issue to consider...
  2. Path length. PPT imposes a 128-character limit on the path to the target video. If the path is longer, typically the video will not play and just display as a white or black rectangle. There is no error trapping for this, so you just have to know it. 128 is much shorter than that tolerated by Windows NTFS file system, so it's easy to go past it without knowing by the time you try to import to PPT. Path lengths in Windows can long quickly. If your video displays symptoms, then just move it temporarily to a location closer to the root of the drive.
  3. External drive letter. If by any chance you are linking to a video not on your C drive or other permanently installed drive, the dynamic nature of drive letter assignments for external drives could result in a bad path. What was originally on drive F is now on drive E.

-Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Captivate's PowerPoint import feature does not support videos inside PPT. Hence if your PPT contains any videos, wont get imported inside Captivate.

But you can very easily import these FLV videos directly inside captivate. Then sync the video time and position the way you want it to work.

Which version of Captivate are you working on?

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I think we need clarification from the OP (kella2) to know exactly what is being attempted. More specifically, what is meant when they ask Flash Video.

Perhaps all that is desired is to insert Flash content into PPT. As in a Captivate created .SWF file. I do believe that's possible to achieve. Check out the video below if that's what is being asked.

Click here to view

Additionally, there does seem to be a way to insert FLV into PowerPoint. Another link below.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

In reference to the solutions that you provided, will swf's play in the PowerPoint file when it is sent to other individuals who can only view a flash file when it's played through their browser?  I'm currently experiencing that problem with a presentation that we are trying to develop.  When small swf's created in Captivate are inserted into a PP file, they play fine on my system since I have the complete E-Learning suite, but a black X shows up on the other PC's that don't have flash installed even when the file is placed on their system.

NW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Logic would seem to dictate that in order to view any type of Flash output, the system would need to have some form of a Flash presentation mechanism installed. It is my understanding that when you insert Flash content on a PowerPoint slide, it relies on the Flash Player/PlugIn/Whatever to present that. In other words, I don't believe PowerPoint offers an innate ability to present things within its container without other helper objects being present on the system.

Perhaps it will help to view it this way. Remove Flash from the equation. Consider that you gave the same user a PowerPoint presentation to view. But they don't have PowerPoint or the PowerPoint viewer available. Would they be able to view your presentation? I think not.

There is only one way I'm aware of to play Flash content on a PC that isn't "Flash Capable" as you describe. That's by using an EXE output containing the Flash. From my own experience, even then it may not work. As I understand it, when the EXE runs it temporarily installs a Flash Player to present the content.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, you are right on all points.

As an fyi, in my experience, the swf's will play when published as an EXE. However, in this situation, we need them to play in PowerPoint. So far I've had some success, but I have to keep going into the Properties setting to change the Play option to "True" every time someone opens the file. So this presents a problem.

On another note, what must our IT dept do to configure the Flash player to play on our systems? As of right now, they only have it configured to play swf files via Internet Explorer. So we have to drag swf files developed in Captivate into IE for those who don't have flash to view them. This is our current work around, but it would seem as though the Flash Player could also be configured to play files directly off of the desktop also, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

<Scratching head here> I'm not sure on the Flash Player bit. For me it just works. But then again, I've got Flash and Captivate and God only knows how many other apps installed on my system and that likely has something to do with it all.

If you just open Windows Explorer and look at your files on one of these PCs, what (if anything) happens if you double-click a .SWF file?

What seems odd to me is that if IE is the playback mechanism that has been installed, I would expect PowerPoint to be able to play the files. Microsoft usually does a pretty slick job of making things like PowerPoint work with other things like IE. For example, I also develop help systems using Adobe RoboHelp. For many years I created .CHM files. I'm aware that some of the display mechanism for .CHM files relies on IE components. So I figure the same would hold true for PowerPoint.

Wishing I had something good to share here. Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you attempt to open the file, you get the typical "Window cannot open this file" box. Then they are give an option to search for an application via the web, or select an application on their PC, and the Flash Player does not appear on the list. Very bizarre.

Now on another note again, I've tried exporting the file from Captivate to Flash, and converting it to a .mov file. I thought that this process would be somewhat seemless, but I encounter all types of compiler errors. The file pulls into Flash with issues, 1) 1st couple of minutes starts out jumpy, 2) audio does not export. Then when it's exported from Flash as a .mov the size is very distorted. When the play button is selected, the Quicktime player crashes!

So, I guess the only solution is to acquire a swf to mov converter to import a Captivate swf 20sec clip into PowerPoint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Great thread this one. I just thought that I would add that if you own the Adobe eLearning Suite then you can insert your FLV files directly into a PPT using Adobe Presenter. Adobe Presenter sits on top of PowerPoint and offers a great way of being able to turn exisiting PowerPoint training content into eLearning courses. Just like Captivate presenter also includes the ability to insert quizzes, supports SCORM (1.2 and AICC).

You can learn more about the Adobe eLearning Suite, by clicking on this link.

Best - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha, this is good info. I'll give this a try.

Thanks Mark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, kind friends, thanks a lot for your answers, I got a converter  that can convert flash swf to avi in a forum. I insert converted avi video to ppt, and they play well. so happy to do a good ppt presentation with the iwisoft swf to avi converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2009 Dec 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources