• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove (White) Background in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Illustrators,

I managed to create the Illustrator image I want & now need to take this image & use it in another application.  However, regardless of which way I attempt to export - jpg, tif or png, I'm still getting the (white artboard) background, which I do not want.  I attempted to create another box & blend the background to the background of the other application that I am using, but it's still apparent.

Also, with some conversion, my image became distorted or changed the image colors a little bit.

What's the process to remove unwanted backgrounds from Illustrator images?  Here's some samples.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Here is the PNG with transparency using the Save for Web & Devices…

I had to change the internal B&W grads of the object because transparency was used to make the grads which will cause the background to show through the grads when you place these in your Web Program. You will need to redo the Gradations to replace the transparency with White.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.png is supposed to support transparency. Can you post your illustrator file? Use the Attach Files at the bottom of the forum text window. What program are you placing this graphic into? What is the color mode of the illustrator file when created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I attached 3 files for review.

• The 'Gas Turbine_jpg_w_Background.ai' file has a large gray back ground which blends nicely to the JLooxMaker background, however image is not at desired size because of background boarder & image also is not as clear as desired

• The 'Gas Turbine_jpg_w_Background_Resized.ai' file has the desired image size - 111x 75 & desired background that blends in with JLooxMaker background, but shows boarder edge, which is not wanted.  Also, image gets distorted, but it's not to bad

Both 'jpg' images became brighter during conversion then the original image & we have a color scheme that we are trying to follow.

• The 'png' kept the same color scheme & the image is little cleaner then the 'jpg's', but for whatever reasons, changed the shading of the background during conversion that clearly shows & does not match JLooxMaker background

JLooxMaker is a GUI interface that needs to be used in another application that will put tags or links into it.  Kind of a confusing process, but what we are trying to capture is "clean" Illustrator images that can be converted to JLooxMaker images.

I also attached a picture to visulize the differences.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu>File>Save for Web & Devices…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using "save for web"? Is the transparency checkbox checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesseham,

I do not see the options for "save for web" or to check transparency in the Save AS or Export options. Where are these options?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the PNG with transparency using the Save for Web & Devices…

I had to change the internal B&W grads of the object because transparency was used to make the grads which will cause the background to show through the grads when you place these in your Web Program. You will need to redo the Gradations to replace the transparency with White.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the color shift you're seeing is largely due to the Transparency in your Gradations causing the background color to show through the Grads. You can check this by placing a big background color rectangle object behind the graphic and activating the Overprint Preview, View>Overprint Preview in Illustrator. This allows you to see what the Transparency interactions are going to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PresPro1,

That worked great!!!

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may as well simply go to export>choose png>the png options dialog box comes>on it choose transparent at the background color scroll bar.all the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you want to remove the white background from a .AI file and save it as a .AI file. I believe I need to save it as a .AI file because the PNG image is not transparent in my AE template. I still see white. I normally trace logos clients give me but this client sent a .AI file with a white background.Screen shot 2012-06-13 at 12.32.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens to the file if you go to the View menu and then Show Transparency Grid (Cmd(Crtl)-Shift-D)? Is there still a white background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator Tip: How to Remove White Background in Live Trace | dezign Musings I sort of used this tutorial but I am using Illustrator CC and the steps are a little different

but you have to fin the image trace panel,  then click Advanced and make sure the ignore white box is checked. Then Viola! transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there what are the steps to remove in CC? having trouble getting the image trace panel to work, its greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

schrieb

Hi there what are the steps to remove in CC? having trouble getting the image trace panel to work, its greyed out

Please show us a screenshot of your template in the layers panel.

Most probably it's inside a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines