Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"HOME" link in the content window

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Creating a CHM file using Robohelp 8.0.0.203, I set the TOC to generate automatically and even figured out how to make TOC books with sub-topics.

I've gotten to the point where I'm generating layouts and checking my work. I find that in the content window, at the top, is a 'Home' link that seems to sort of show the 'path' to the document being viewed.

When I started, I just dug in on the first topic and realize that I'd like a 'front' page that will open when the file is opened. That page should be the page linked to with the 'Home' link.

So I made a new topic, put it at the top of the list, and find that the 'Home' links are all still pointing at the first topic and the file still opens with the first topic as the default content pane information.

Is there a way to 'assign' which file will show in the content pane by default and to 'set' the home link to that file? I really don't want to have to start over...

Thanks,

Solon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Hi Solon.

The "Home" button jumps to what ever is set as your default topic in your Single Source Layout. If you right click on your Single Source Layout and select Properties you can specify your default topic there.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Solon.

The "Home" button jumps to what ever is set as your default topic in your Single Source Layout. If you right click on your Single Source Layout and select Properties you can specify your default topic there.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Much thanks for that. I looked right at that before generating, but it's 'grayed out' and I didn't realize it's selectable. Didn't even notice the button to the right that says "Select"!

Gonna be a long week....

Solon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Solon

I see that Colum has already seemingly answered your question as you marked it as such. But just in case...

If this is being configured automagickally by RoboHelp, I'm a bit surprised. It means RoboHelp 8 introduced a change. A GOOD change, but a change nonetheless.

I just compiled a CHM in RoboHelp 7. Clicking the Home link produces a "This program cannot display the web page" error. (Because Home wasn't explicitly configured)

tmp1.png

So I cracked RoboHelp 8 open and tried again. Hmmm, same result. This seems to infer that things really haven't changed in that respect.

So it occurs to me that you need to actually change things in a different place than Colum mentioned. You must make this change in the Window properties.

Click View > Pods > Project Setup

Double-click the Windows pseudo-folder to expand it

Double-click your CHM window

Click the Advanced Properties button and a new dialog will appear. You type the file name of the desired topic into the Home field.

tmp2.png

Close all dialogs and recompile

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r,

OO.. more info.. always pleasant!

I just discovered something: that link is only present when I use the View Primary Layout function (and there it's still going to the first topic I created). It doesn't show up at all in the generated chm file.

Now I have to wonder what it is, and if it's possible to make it point to a topic other than the first one created.

OF course, I COULD just make a default 'Front Page" topic every time, but that might be kinda easy....

Solon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

Can you please post a screen capture of what you are seeing? Perhaps I've steered you wrong.

If you post a screen capture, please do so using the Camera icon just above where you type your reply.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp