• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro - Insufficient Media Error - Please help!

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I'm working in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS3), taking 3 thirty second video clips, and putting them together, along with an audio track, to make a 1:30 video background with music.

I'm trying to apply a short cross dissolve to each of the video clips. When I do, I get an error message that there is insufficient media and some frames will be repeated.

This is a mystery to me, because each of the thirty second clips is clearly longer than the cross dissolve transition.

The transitions seem to play fine in Premiere, but do not appear to show up in any render so far (I've tried .avi, .mov, and .wmv)

Any idea why I might be getting this error, and how I can correct the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

my clips are longer than my transition in terms of duration.

I there any way I can "add" handles?

The full Duration of the Clips is long enough, but your Handles are not. These are "created" when you set the In & Out Points on the Clip.

If your Clip has a tiny triangle at the Head, and/or Tail, that means that it has zero Frames as Handles. Reset the In & Out Points to get the Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start reading about handles. The help file is a good place to start. And get some basic education in video editing if you want to use PR. Consumer applications do not have this steep learning curve and may serve you better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know Harm I've read a number of your posts including some of your replies to me and in pretty much all of them you've come off as a jerk, contributer or not.  Telling him to go study video editing is not helpful at all.  I've used a number of other pro video editing programs and I've never had to do this in order to make a cross dissolve work, I just drop it in between two clips and it just works, unless I want it to work differently than a normal cross dissolve is supposed to, then I can change it.  Heck even older versions of Premiere didn't require this step.  Regardless of how Premiere works telling someone to go read the manual or go learn video editing is not what these forums are for, they're called support forums after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Telling him to go study video editing is not helpful at all.

That depends.  If he does actually go off and study video and can then perform the task better, then it really was helpful.

I've used a number of other pro video editing programs and I've never had to do this in order to make a cross dissolve work

Yes, you have.  Any proper transition needs handles.  This is a universal concept, and applies to all editors, all media, and all software programs.  Some programs, Premiere included, may try and 'cheat' the transition by repeating frames or with some other method, but that is not then a proper transition.

Heck even older versions of Premiere didn't require this step.

Yes, they have.  All NLEs always have, and always will.

telling someone to go read the manual or go learn video editing is not what these forums are for

I would argue that Premiere Pro, and hence these forums, are for those who have already learned video editing.

First lean, then do.  This applies to any activity.  Those who try and skip step one and show up here looking for help do often meet with some backlash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well SpeedEdit certainly doesn't.  I've never seen frozen frames in a transition like I do with Premiere Pro CS4 (If I don't adjust the handles first).  When I was first learning Premiere back in school years ago all I had to do was drop a cross dissolve between two clips and bam, a nice smooth dissolve from A to B, unless I specifically set it to do otherwise.

JSS1138 wrote:

Those who try and skip step one and show up here looking for help do often meet with some backlash.

So you suggest that people should not come here to aid in their learning?  If that's the case I'll just move to CG Talk, I like learning on forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is a forum for Premiere Pro and people should feel free to ask questions about Premiere Pro in these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insufficient media error means your clips do not have handles.

Trim of 15 frames of the left clip on the right side and 15 frames on the left side of the right clip.

Then your transition will work properly and no error message,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify how I do this, Ann? I tried...went into Project Manager, did "Include Handles: 30 frames".

Then opened the new "trimmed" project.

I still get the error message.

Did I miss a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some background on Handles:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_04.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Hunt! This is helpful, but my clips are longer than my transition in terms of duration.

Our video editors are tied up on other projects, so it's up to me to figure this out and finish up this project for the client.

Any help you can give is most appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my clips are longer than my transition in terms of duration.

The full Duration of the Clips is long enough, but your Handles are not. These are "created" when you set the In & Out Points on the Clip.

If your Clip has a tiny triangle at the Head, and/or Tail, that means that it has zero Frames as Handles. Reset the In & Out Points to get the Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two easy ways to set the In & Out Points on your Clips are:

In the Timeline, zoom in a bit. Click-drag on the Head, and/or Tail of the Clip, watching the Info Panel to make sure that you allow enough Handles for the Duration of the Transitions' settings.

These can also be set in the Source Monitor with the In Point bracket and the Out Point bracket.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I understand now, Hunt - and it worked!

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I understand now, Hunt - and it worked!

Great news. The concept of Handles is a bit abstract, when one first approaches it. Once the editor is able to make the connection, it's then clear from then on. For me, it was easy, as I came from a cine background. We did not call them "Handles" back then, but they were physically easy to see and understand in A-B Roll editing. If one did not have enough Frames, the Transition could not be printed from the A and B roll. It was also a bit easier to grasp, when NLE's still used A-B Roll layouts. Now, with everything on the same Video Track, these Handles are behind the scenes.

Things like those little triangles that I mentioned are clues, but they are tiny, located up at the corner of the Head and/or Tail, and so often overlooked. Many have no idea what they are, and some have probably never even noticed them.

Good luck, and glad that we got it sorted,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Corrected spelling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this same problem with my cross dissolve. Ive re read all these messages and i still dont understand how to set the handle. and i dont see any triangle in the timeline. Im using cs5.5 could you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article goes into a bit more info on Handles: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3058164#3058164

The concept was easy with cine, and also when one edited with A-B Roll editing, as one would overlap the Clips, by the number of Frames necessary. With an NLE, and single Track editing, it is a bit more difficult a concept to grasp.

Can you post a screen-cap of your Sequence, showing the Clips, where you wish to add the Cross-Dissolves?

You will ONLY get the "triangles," if that is the end of the full Clip. If you have a longer Clip, which has been Trimmed, then you will not get those, but, depending on your Trimming, might not get what you expect.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only get the repeated frames after i color correct clips. It works fine to just drag and drop for original footage.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screen-cap. If you look at the Head of the first Clip, and the Tail of the second Clip, you will see the little "triangles" that indicate no more media. They are marked here:

Clip_Triangles01.png

Because of the Transition, between the two Clips, we cannot see if there is also a triangle at the Tail of the first Clip, and the Head of the second Clip. If you Delete the Transition for a moment, you can see whether the triangles appear. If so, they indicate that you do not have any more media, beyond, or in front of the Tail and the Head of those two Clips.

If those ARE the ends of the Clips, then just click+drag on the Tail of the first, and then the Head of the next, to set the In & Out Points, enough to allow for the Cross-Dissolve. When you click+drag, the "triangle" will disappear, as you WILL have more media, beyond the new Head and Tail, that you see. That meida will be your Handles, and allow you to apply a Cross-Dissolve. When you do Trim, make sure to allow sufficient Frames for those Handles (will depend on the Duration of your Cross-Dissolve).

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im sorry to keep bothering you but i still dont understand, im not a beginnner editor so i dont know why i cant understand this concept. Yes there is a joined complete triangle in the middle of both clips. From what your saying, i dragged the triangle in the middle to the beginning of the first clip and it just made the whole first clip disappear. what am i doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you add a clip to Replace with AE comp. drag the clip a track higher and add frames to the front and back of the clip (each side the duration of a transition) then send it to AE.

Do your stuff in AE and bring the clip back into Pro.

Your clip is now too long, trim it back to its original length on the timeline and add the transition. There should not be any diagonal lines which means insufficient media.

Instead of dragging the clip a track higher you can also copy it and put it superimposed over the original clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens

The tip to trim of 15 frames of the left clip on the right side and 15 frames on the left side of the right clip works fine

but what can you do if you have more then 70 or 100 clips in your timeline.

is there a sorter way to do this?

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kostas K. wrote:

Ann Bens

The tip to trim of 15 frames of the left clip on the right side and 15 frames on the left side of the right clip works fine

but what can you do if you have more then 70 or 100 clips in your timeline.

is there a sorter way to do this?

thanks.

Select all clips and do a ripple trim.

ripple trim.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ann i appreciate your reply but your way seems more confusing than the first one. @Bill is there anyway you could possible make a video for your method so i could understand it? I would highly appreciate it! I dont understand why such a sophisticated program would make something so simple so complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no other way, adding transitions is all about having enough handles to put them on.

Linked comps from AE do not have handles. You need to create them first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines