• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which RoboHelp 7 files need to be translated?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been transferred to a different division in my company and I am now responsible for the Online help that is created using Robohelp 7. I am completely new to Robohelp and what little I know I learned through a tutorial that I found. I have just been told that I need to provide RoboHelp files to be translated to French. I am pretty much lost. The application that has Help has two components (and therefore two types of Help): a desktop component that uses HTML Help and generates a ",chm" file and a web component that uses WebHelp that generates ".htm" files.

My problem is that I do not know which files in each type of Help that I need to have translated.

For the HTML Help I assume that I need to have the source files translated. But if I do this, do I need to recreate the entire project including recreating the topics, TOC, and index in French? What about map files?

For the WebHelp, do I just need to translate the ".htm" files along with the TOC and Index files?

I am using RoboHelp 7 on Windows XP

I would appreciate any help on this that anyone could provide. TIA

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

Thanks for the link. It is an excellent article. I now have a better idea of what I need to do about getting my WebHelp files translated.

Concerning my HTML Help files: I assume that I would have the source Word (Word 2007) docs translated in addition to the TOC, index, glossary, snippets, and variable files.

Unfortunately, since I did not create the original Help system, I cannot implement the complete file structure as recommended by the author and I am not experienced enough in RoboHelp (yet) to recreate the project using the recommended file structure in the time frame allowed. However, I can use it for the French translations.

Also, I am not sure what the author is doing with the condition build tag, but that is probably because I have not worked with RoboHelp enough yet.

Thanks again,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I'm in the same boat you found yourself in when you worte this, although I use RoboHelp for Word.

A French partner is here in the office these next two days and wants to localize our documentation, but I haven't been able to find definitive specific instructions anywhere.  I'd love to talk with you about what you learned as you went through the process.  Please email at carignanj at axiod.com

I will also read the resource you were directed to when you posed the question.

Thanks,

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp