Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space in URL is converted to %2520

Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp 7 (7.02.001) to create WebHelp.

In the Table Of Contents I have created a page with a link to a folder on one of our file servers.
The folder however, has spaces in its path.
No problem so far, as I can open the link in the Preview in RoboHelp.

When I generate the WebHelp output and open the site in IE7, a warning is shown stating a script or ActiveX control wants to be executed. If I ignore this message and press on the page in my TOC (navigation), the folder is opened as expected.
If I accept the script to be run subsequently, and then try to follow the link to the folder, an error is shown stating the folder cannot be found. What I see is that the space isn't replaced any longer by %20, but it now reads %2520.
Further investigation learned that when I replace any %20 occurences in whxdata\whtdata0.xml to a space, I can follow the link successfully in both cases (with or without the script activated).
So, this is a workaround, but I am looking for a resolution.

Has anyone a good idea?

(Note that the link does not open the target in any case when opening the site in Firefox 2.)

TIA,
Andre

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008
Hi Andre

One way to overcome RoboHelp mucking with your URL and have it properly link would be to employ what is called a "Redirect" page.

For information on how to create a redirect, download my Tips file. You may download my Tips file from the link below:
Click here to visit the page

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andre -

You are trying to exploit a bug in (older versions of) Internet Explorer. Properly formed URLs do not allow spaces. The solution is NOT to have spaces in folder (directory) or file names. You can use an underscore if you must simulate a space such as:

...\this_or_that\
...\this_or_that\this_not_that.htm
..\this_or_that\that_not_this.htm

You can change your fold and file names from the project management view in RH. Note that the DISPLAYED name (such as in the TOC and the topic title) will not change from what you have now. Any links will reference the folder/file names not the TOC/topic names.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GEWB, thanks for the response.

quote:

The solution is NOT to have spaces in folder (directory) or file names.

This is what I do in my RoboHelp project itself.
However, as I am developing an Intranet portal I create references (links) to external locations, such as shares on other file servers. The location I am refering to do have spaces in their path (which I cannot (and may not) change).

(It is a "file://..." reference)

Kind regards,
Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andre

One way to overcome RoboHelp mucking with your URL and have it properly link would be to employ what is called a "Redirect" page.

For information on how to create a redirect, download my Tips file. You may download my Tips file from the link below:
Click here to visit the page

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rick,

The redirect works fine, with a side effect (see below). (Great tips by the way )

When I redirect to something outside the site itself, I want it to open in a new window. When I redirect to a file, the file is opened in a new window; just fine.
However, when I redirect to a folder, first a new window of the IE browser is opened (displaying a Show link only) (which I don't want), and another window is opened showing the content of the redirected folder (which is what I want).
What I don't want is to show up the new IE window.
Is there a way to suppress that?

Kind regards,
Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andre -

Ouch, I feel for you!

I hope Rick's idea helps.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp