• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to generate printed document with "continuous" section breaks versus "next page" section breaks?

Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When generating a Word or PDF document from the HTML help files a "next page" section break is used after each topic. How can I get a "continuous" section break instead?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

I've been poking around a bit more. Here's the deal.

New chapters will always start on a new page and have a next or odd page break according to the Start New Chapters setting. If ticked it will be an Odd Page break, else a Next Page break.

Topics within a book will follow the Start Each Topic on a New Page setting. If ticked, each topic will be separated by a page break, not a section break. Else they will be on the same page with no breaks of any type.

Topics not within a book will be followed by

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is because you have the printed documentation set to start new topics on new pages. Take a look at that first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that checked off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this slipped through the net.

What versions of RH and Word please?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH HTML 8 and Word 2003. Thanks for your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Advanced button. Is the Start New Chapters... ticked? Try clearing that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that one is checked off too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been poking around a bit more. Here's the deal.

New chapters will always start on a new page and have a next or odd page break according to the Start New Chapters setting. If ticked it will be an Odd Page break, else a Next Page break.

Topics within a book will follow the Start Each Topic on a New Page setting. If ticked, each topic will be separated by a page break, not a section break. Else they will be on the same page with no breaks of any type.

Topics not within a book will be followed by a section break.

So section breaks are only created for chapters and topics not in a chapter.

Hope that helps. Please post back if you find otherwise.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for the time you put into this. I decided to not use "Chapters" to organize the pdf layout, so I'm getting the section breaks for topics not in a chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one of the scenarious I covered.

Trick: Put all the topics in one book and generate to Word instead of PDF. There you just remove the chapter name and then PDF it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I'd thought of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you  want all "continuous" breaks in the document, you can create a macro in Word with the following code and add it as a toolbar button for a one-click fix:

Sub setcontinuous()
ActiveDocument.PageSetup.SectionStart = wdSectionContinuous
End Sub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp