Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing pages directly from a mediawiki website

Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have Robohelp X5.0.2. Could you guys please help me with the following:

1) I have successfully imported html from a local drive but I would like to know how to import directly from a live website (mediawiki website).

2) How can we change the file path to point to a different location without having to import the file into Robohelp first? (Please s
ee picture below).

RoboFileLocation.gif

If this cannot be done in Robohelp X5, is it possible to do it in newer versions of Robohelp?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to the above, we are actually trying to extract pages from a mediawiki website and create a chm file with these (Mediawiki to Robohelp). Is there a way to extract the pages directly in Robohelp instead of saving the html files first on a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topics have to be in the project. You can create links to web pages and so on that will open in the topic pane.

Open my RoboHelp Tour at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm and you will see a link to my website. That opens in another window. Then click the link to the Reviewer's Guide. That opens in the topic pane but it is opening a web page.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter for your help. So we definitely cannot import directly from a website. We have to import the html files in Robohelp to create the topics there. We were trying to avoid using a third party software to extract the html pages from the mediawiki website first and then importing them into Robohelp because the help files will be created and updated on the mediawiki website and then made available locally to the users through a chm file (some might not have internet access to the mediawiki website).

Importing the files through robohelp will take a lot of time as everytime we update the mediawiki website, we will have to import the all the files again into robohelp.

I would be very happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what you want. If the content has to be edited, searchable, indexed and suchlike, then it has to be within RH. If you just want to display the page, then the link to the Reviewers Guide to which I pointed you does the job.

Do you own the pages that you are going to display? I am no lawyer but I would have thought that linking to those pages is OK but copying them and then building them into your help sounds a bit questionable. I would be taking professional advice on that.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2009 Nov 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

We do own the pages from the mediawiki website.

However, we do not want to link the page directly to the website as some people do not always have internet connection.

So we will have to import the files into RH first then.

I have one last question: is there a way to change the following path in RH?

RoboFileLocation.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in that screen as it is simply telling you where the topic is. Please tell me your project is not on a network drive. If it is, expect a problem sooner or later.

As you own the wiki pages, can you not view them via your network? If you can get that set up, you can import them.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a longshot but I was looking for something else and came across this page.

http://www.aignes.com/products.htm

See Local Website Archive

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. Your help on these issues is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do try that software, please post back with a brief report on it.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp