• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use a central glossary file across several projects?

Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I have started a major project which needs a major glossary covering the companies definitions of various measures. These definitions will be needed by several other projects in the future. Is there a way of each project referencing one file which we can update as necessary rather than having to go and update each project's glossary file in turn?

Look forward to your responses.

Nick.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Hi Nick.

Yes it is but not from within RH. The glossary definitions are stored in the projectname.glo file which can be copied from one project to another and renamed accordingly in Windows Explorer. Then just open the project and lo and behold, your glossary appears!

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick.

Yes it is but not from within RH. The glossary definitions are stored in the projectname.glo file which can be copied from one project to another and renamed accordingly in Windows Explorer. Then just open the project and lo and behold, your glossary appears!

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW you may also want to submit a feature request to Adobe for this. You can do so via this link.

Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In addition to what Column suggested, you can also use a database program (I use MS Access) to store all definitions and terms and any other data you need. Then use a report/script/program to output the *.glo files and save the files in the desired folders. (In RH8, .glo is just an XML-file with a different extension.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the quick and helpful reponses. I was trying to avoid having to replace each .glo file in future projects but if I cant get around it then it will be have to handled manually.

Now have to figure a way of getting 280 definitions into a glossary file. I dont have Access at work unfortunately, can I use Excel or Word? You can fit my XML knowledge onto a grain of rice btw. I see that there are 2 tags, glossterm and glossentry that I need to create for each term.

Regards and thanks again.

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nick,

You've probably already moved past this point, but re: Using Excel or Word to build glossary file. I have used Word to create content for similar files and then saved as text only. Just have to be sure that all beginning/ending tag pairs are in the right places and that you don't accidentally remove any RH-specific code.

Cheers,

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on number of entries and how tightly you want the glossary integrated into the content (for example, term definitions displayed as expanding text), you might consider other options, too.

One option might be to set the glossary up as its own (very simple) project rather than using the built-in RH glossary feature. Other projects could then display the glossary in a separate window. You could add/delete navigation features as needed. For example, each term could be in its own topic and you could have an alphabetical list of the terms in the TOC pane. Or all terms (or alphabetical subset) could be in long topic with TOC links scrolling to bookmarked terms.

Another option might be to set up the glossary as a PDF file that is displayed in a separate window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan

Thanks for the response - some good ideas there - we are creating a sep project file for a larger version of the glossary which covers examples and calculations and will incorporate this into all the projects eventually - in the short term I just wanted a one liner expanding text glossary item within our projects. I think having a separate PDF is a good idea though - the clients can then have it to hand when looking at reports.

Regards

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Nick.

Sounds like you've got some interesting possibilities. After you mentioned that they might use the glossary in deciphering reports, it occurred to me that you might also look at output options for mobile devices if company can support and users are receptive. Haven't worked with the smaller screens myself, but apparently Adobe does have readers available for several of them (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrmobiledevices.html).

Regards,

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp