• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-Timed Screen Captures...possible??

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm looking at automatically capturing my screen with a START and STOP time, each day, every day.  Basically I need to see when my software pops up an alert but I don't want to sit at my computer and stare at it all day...rather scrub through a screen capture video (1 fps) that has a time/day stamp on it.

I don't own Captivate, but I wanted to know if this was possible with this app before throwing down $800.00.

Is what I'm looking for make sense?   If so, has anyone tried this?

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't recommend Captivate for this task. You would need to set it to record full-motion video for the duration and the files would be huge. I'm pretty sure that it would crash at some point as well since this is way out of the scope of Captivate.

Can't you find the error in your computers logfiles?

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addtion to what Michael suggested, you might acquire TechSmith SnagIt. I believe SnagIt can be configured to auto-capture as you are wanting to do.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys!!!

Yeah, bought SnagIt first...read about their "auto timer"...however (and this is what brought me to altneratives like Captivate)....it doesn't work for video, only stills....something they fail to mention on their site. 😛

Anyway, I manually did a 24 hour video.. 1 fps, 200kbps ...and it would even open in Windows Media Player or QuickTime.

I wonder is there's a length limits to those apps.

Thanks again for taking the time!!!

--PETE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete

You mention capturing a video screen. I might ask if it's resulting in a blank area where you should see the video? If so, in SnagIt, you likely need to enable capturing a "layered" window.

Hope you find something that works for you... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 07, 2009 Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if it will help but try and open that videofile with VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). In my experience this video player opens more formats than Windows mediaplayer.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources