• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set images to dynamically resize based on window

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if this is possible, and 'easy' to do within robohelp, or if I need to hard code a dynamic resize in the HTML code.

Some images we have are a bit difficult to view because they are resized so heavily from a full sized screen shot. I would like to set the images up so when a user resizes the window the image will also become bigger, and when a user makes the window smaller then the window will shrink.

any ideas?

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You might consider creating a thumbnail version and inserting that. Then create popups that display the full sized version if the user clicks the thumbnail.

Either popups or DHTML drop-downs should work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do this in RH?

I've made a thumbnail, added it to the topic, then go to insert a hyperlink, but it only allows me to select topics, not images.

or does it have to be hand coded?

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the thumbnail, then click the link icon.

In the Hyperlink dialog, click Link To and select file.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhhhh brilliant, didnt see that drop down up there....what can I say, 6pm on a Friday isn't the best time for work is it...

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does work rather well for web.....but I'm hitting an issue with printed documentation.

It will only print the thumbnail, not the main image....is there an easy way around this, or do I need to add the image to the topic, set it as a conditional build only for printed documentation? Its one way, and quite a long way....perhaps.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noticing another issue with larger sized images. Because some of them are quite big, when they are clicked the popup is larger than the screen, and even thoughs croll bars are added tehy are somtimes present below the existing screen, meaning you have to scroll down, but when youtry to scroll down, the mouse click is registered and it closes the pop up window......

slightly annoying. and im sure users will not appreciate this at all.is tehre any way to position where to popup will display in relation to the window borders or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re print, thank goodness it only prints what is in the topic. Imagine what would happen if RH stopped and inserted whatever is in a link. Either you will have to play with CBTs or change the plan. How about "Show me the screen" being a hotspot for the full image. Online users will not get the screen unless they click the link, your print layout can be set to included dropdown content.

If the images are too large for a screen, they will certainly be too large for print. Resize them.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. just incase any one else comes across this.

Well, the main cause for this questions was an issue with re-sized images not displaying clearly in some browsers and on some monitors.

I've found the reason.

When capturing images in robocapture and resizing them, the quality was being lost. So instead I was using photoshop to resize, and even though the final product looked fine on my machine, it wasn't the case on many many others.

This was because when opening a GIF in photoshop the color (set under Image > Mode) was being set to Indexed, not RGB. Once set to RGB and resized, the quality is maintained and things look much better now.

thankfully I can make a quick batch file to resize all the files correctly and using RGB.

brialliant. no need for pop ups or drop-down options, and printed docs will still be easy to produce.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Generally speaking, JPGs resize better than GIFs. Also try the resize tool in the RH toolbox. That resizes better than the resize if you access Image Properties.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp