• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple find and replace missing.

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a search on the forums and can't find a similar thread so forgive me if this is already here or is a blindingly obvious fix.

I have recently installed RH8 and am in the process of upgrading our current 20 or so other authors to RH8 from RH5. However I have been unable to find the multi-file find and replace tool. I have opened the toolbox pod and there exists there a list of tools none of which are the multi file find and replace.

I know there are other find and replace tools/software out there but our authoring platform is air gapped and it is a real pain getting software uploaded.

So my question is should there be the old multi-file find and replace in the toolbox pod and if it should be there how do I get it?

I have re-installed RH8 etc to see if that was an issue but it made no difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

It is just an executable file. OK you'd have to ensure it was installed on each RH8 PC but then you could just add it to your Toolbox pod so it was always available as it was with RHX5. Just a thought.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm! Interesting! All the tools in RH8 are located in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML directory and a look in there doesn't come up with the Find and Replace tool. It looks like it may have been dropped from RH8. Perhaps you could keep the .EXE file that was in RHX5 on the end user PCs?

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the quick response.

That as you might gues was not the anwer I was hoping for, I wanted some one to say I'd made a school boy error and it was in another pod.

We can, I suppose get some find and replace software but it makes the RH8 package alot less usable from an admin point of view for us. We currently run projects of around 5000 topics and it was usefull being able to replace text and code in them with the multi find and replace tool without having to open other software.

I'll have a look at finding the RH5 version of the tool and see if I can drop it onto the RH8 machine but I don't hold out much hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just an executable file. OK you'd have to ensure it was installed on each RH8 PC but then you could just add it to your Toolbox pod so it was always available as it was with RHX5. Just a thought.

Follow me @robocolumn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Colum, after your first respone I copied the file from one of my other machines, copied it to the folder location you mentioned. Then I could just drag and drop the short cut into the toolbox pod and it works ok. Panic over.

Don't know why therefore RH8 doesn't have this in as standard.

Once again cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the functionality you are looking for is in RoboHelp 8, but is no longer a tool. Try this: Edit > Find and Replace in Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers, it was a school boy error after all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, you are correctamundo with that!

However, it's still a separate tool. You just get at it differently.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if they actually told us where it had gone, in the RH Help Guide...

Bit like finding the ToC pod: they just say "open it" - but don't tell you where it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go the relevant topic in the help and make a Comment. That's what it's for.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp