4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 1:04 AM by Mylenium

File Size ( Dimensions)

Jonas DeForrest

Hi,

Is there anyway to increase the drawing sace size.  I am in need of making wraps and fabric prints of up to 90' in length.  Is there a better way of going about this?  We have been decreasing the file size to 10% lets say and then multiplying the size by 1000% in the printer but we have had quality issues.  Shop photoshop may be better at this or indesign?  We have a customers logo when its increase t 3' wide its 40mb in size.  It has photshop type effects to it what can i do to keep this more manageable?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Joe

• 1. Re: File Size ( Dimensions)
          M0man

Am I right in my assumption you mean 90 feet? It seems a bit extreme.

Do you have an example of what you're talking about? If you have a bitmap image in illustrator it will not be infinitely scaleable, Only vector portions are applicable to that belief, The same applies to photoshop filters in Illustrator I believe.

• 2. Re: File Size ( Dimensions)
            Scott Falkner Level 5

People have been using scales for large Illustrator files ever since the program shipped. Illustrator art is vector, so there should be no issue with quality when scaling up. Make sure you have adequate resolution for any imported art and that the Document Raster Effects setting is high enough when you factor in scaling.

• 3. Re: File Size ( Dimensions)
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yeah, I think there is still a large misconception between raster and vector especially with new users.

• 4. Re: File Size ( Dimensions)
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                It has photshop type effects to it what can i do to keep this more manageable?

Learn how to do everything in AI using vector effects.... That aside, I agree with the others. There is no reason to increase the document dimensions with vector art, as it can be scaled losslessly. You could design everything on an A4 sheet and it would still be crisp and sharp if blown up by a factor of 10000%. Also, I think you are having a misunderstanding of the "effective resolution". 90" means a huge hang-up poster or something like that which would only be seen from afar. This stuff is printed at 36 dpi or even lower, yet with proper distance, looks perfect. It's all how the human eye perceives it. So in all fairness, what you are considering quality issues are probably none. At best, your injkjet or whatever may produce unfavorable raster alignments, losing some "dots" here and thewre, but that can usually tweaked down to the micrometer, at least from what little I know about these machines. It really strikes me more as a matter of controlling the print process, rather than the input. If bad luck has it, you could throw an image at it that is twice the target res and it would still look rubbish because the printer is not configured properly...

Mylenium