• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How should I structure RH8 html for 26 Manuals

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very new to Robohelp and I have converted a Word 2003 Manual into HTML by saving the word document as a text file and then formatting the text using a css template.

I have another 25 manuals to go and wondered whether I should have a total of 26 separate projects or 1 project which contains all the manuals. Each manual in a separate folder.

Each manual will have its own TOC and there is no need for a consolidated TOC. However, I like the idea of Snippets and Variables which I could use across all 26 manuals. Each manual has to be published on its own.

How should I use Robohelp?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If any/all of the manuals will need to use the same snippets/variables, then one project would be the starting point. Then you would have to consider the total size, how many topics altogether? PCs are getting more powerful but some years back I settled on an arbitary figure of 5,000 topics and that works well. The number of graphics also comes into play. I had one person with over 7,000 graphics and the project was a pig.

Within the project, create a folder for each manual to keep things tidy.

You will need to create 26 conditional build tags and create a build expression where you exclude 25. Bit painful but it is a one off task and it does mean you can use your snippets and variables in any manual.

If snippets/variables are not an issue and/or you will hit higher figures, then maybe separate projects would be easier.

I see you you added the Word content by saving it as a text file. There are easier ways but that way you know that future problems are not down to Word import issues. There is an article on my site about importing if it helps.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp