Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to search folders like in Dreamweaver

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In Dreamweaver when you initiate a search you have the option to search the current doc, all open docs, all files in a folder. My question is how do you search all files in a folder when doing a search in CFBuilder?

Thanks.

Joe

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an understandable challenge, Joe. The trick is that you need select the folder in the navigator, then choose Search>Search (or ctrl+h), You should find that the "selected resources" option should now be selected (or can be). The key is to select the folder in the navigator first. If you do not, then the "selected resources " option is not selectable at all.

Now, you also mention DW's being able to search all open docs. You don't ask about how to do that in CFB, but some have wondered it. I cannot find it. Anyone know?

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Charlie. I tried selecting the folders first then ctrl+h. This did enable "selected resources". I searched for a term that I know is in some of the files under one of the folders I selected but it did not find it in any files. The term I searched for was "header", our files have "header.cfm" in them. The message at the top of the search results windows was "header - 0 matches in empty scope". The "Case sensitive" & "Regular Expression" check boxes were not checked. "Consider derived resources" was not checked. "Selected resources" was select.

It is version 1.0.0, Build 253229, Vista.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, I may have an answer for you.

While you listed all the settings you enabled, one you didn't mention was the value of the "file name patterns" field. Was set to (the default of) "*.cfm"? If not, I wonder if you made a simple (unintentional) mistake.

Did you by chance change the value (by hand, not with the "choose" button) to ".", meaning all filenames and filetypes? It's a reasonable thought, as it works that way in most any (Windows) search tool. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Eclipse (and results in the very "0 matches for empty scope").

The problem is that Eclipse just wants "*". I agree, it's not obvious. I mean, sure, the screen shows that it regards * as the wildcard, but many (Windows) users are used to using /. So why does not work in Eclipse?

But this is not a CFBuilder bug, per se. This is an Eclipse (indeed, Linux/Unix) way of things working.

We could wonder if the Adobe team might modify Eclipse to accept . as an alternative. One may argue that changing cold confuse experienced Eclipse users, if . might mean something else to them. But given that many of us are moving to CFB from other editors, it is an interesting thought for Adobe to change this for us in CFB.

I have certainly added it to my list of gotchas that I'm keeping, for a CFB class I'm building (and some blog entries I will do).

Let us know if this was indeed the issue for you. (If not, I hope it may find others who may do searching of the forums and find this in the future.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

I tried "*", "*.cfm", "*.*" and they all returned zero results.I have 4 files open.

joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Consider derived resources" checked, if not check it and try again.  Then let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No results with consider derived sources checked or unchecked for *, *.*, *.cfm. BTW * comes up as the default not *.cfm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still getting it saying empty scope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I just did some playing around and I was actually able to get it to do what you are describing, it only does it for me if I am searching using selected scope.  Have you tried using a working set for the files you are trying to search.  I have used them plenty and haven't run into any issues.

One way I am reproducing this error is if I click on a folder press CTRL-H then select 'Selected resources' if not already checked this click 'Search'

First time that works.  Then, if I don't do anything after the searching is done and press CTRL-H again and click 'Search', it comes up with '0 matches in empty scope(*.cfc, *.cfm, *.cfml)'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, now you're saying "I have 4 files open". So you're asking here about how to search through "open files"? That's not what you said in the note I was replying to:

" I tried selecting the folders first then ctrl+h. This did enable "selected resources". I searched for a term that I know is in some of the files under one of the folders I selected but it did not find it in any files."

Now, in your very first note of the thread you mentioned searching open files, and I replied to that:

"Now, you also mention DW's being able to search all open docs. You don't ask about how to do that in CFB, but some have wondered it. I cannot find it. Anyone know?"

So as far as I know, you cannot search against currently open files. Is that what you're asking?

It's just that you've mentioned both. Your first note concluded, "My question is how do you search all files in a folder when doing a search in CFBuilder?" Just trying to help.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

As far as I can see with searching open files, it seems the logical way to do it would be using 'Working set', by clicking on 'Choose...' under the 'Working set:' area, then make sure window working set is checked and click 'OK'.  Though it does not work, I wonder if it is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

Yes I do have 4 open files. If I click in one of the files and do cntrl+F it will search through the file that is active(the one I just clicked in). If I click in one of the files and do a cntrl+H I can choose 1 of 2 Scopes - Workspace or Working Set.

If I click on a folder in the navigator under which I want to search all files then click cntrl+F nothing happens. If I cilck a folder then cntrl+H I get the search popup. I can click the "Selected resources" radio button then click the search button and it returns "0 matches in empty scope". It is this last option I have been trying all along.

I just closed all files, clicked a folder in the navigator, did cntrl+H and got "0 matches in empty scope".

Le tme know if you want me to try something else.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, let's look at your last sentence (and forget about trying to do a search against open files for now).

You said:

I just closed all files, clicked a folder in the navigator, did cntrl+H

and got "0 matches in empty scope".

So you're saying you are searching for text in CFM files, you click the folder, you chose ctrl+h, you choose "selected resources", and you search for text in files you know exist (and are in that selected folder), and it does not find the files? That would certainly be unexpected.

(Please don't read any tone in my words. I'm really just trying to help, and to be clear as well since since we've had a couple of logic paths, as it were, in this thread.)

The search should certainly work. Do you see it pop up the status window showing that it's trying to search? If you search against a really large directory (with many files and subdirectories), you should be able to see that. It's possible that you could click the option to always hide that. If you use window>show view>other>progress, that should show the execution of the long-running search. If you KNOW that you've pointed to a large directory, yet the search seems to come back immediately, and never shows any effort in the progress view, that would raise questions.

Indeed, before concluding that it's a bug, I would assert that there must be something else at cause here. I mean, this is a fundamental feature of Eclipse, not something that the Adobe team has added.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You calling me a liar dude. let's step outside

No tone implied, just trying to help out also.

A colleague just tried the exact same thing and it worked for him. He is using a Windows XP system & I am using a Windows VISTA system. To answer your question yes it does look like it is doing something as I see "searching ..." flash up in the results pane.

Again, no files are open, I click on a folder in the navigator, cntrl+H, text_to_srch_4, *, Consider derived resources, Selected resources, not case sensitive, not regular expression. The text to search for exists in a file under the folder.

If it helps we can do a TeamViewer4 session or something if you want to see it or try it yourself.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can report that I'm on Vista, too, and things work as I've been explaining. Search against folders does just fine.

As for doing a shared desktop session, well, I will say that it's something I do use every day in the support I do for CF server troubleshooting as an independent consultant. If there were something I thought we might see, I wouldn't mind offering a few minutes of time but really it sounds like what you're doing is all right, so it's a stumper. I don't know what I'd add (or see) on such a shared desktop session.

I suppose you may as well file it as a bug.

But I will offer one last thing to try: whenever something in CFB fails to work as expected, I recommend people try switching to a new workspace (File>Switch Workspace). This is especially worth trying if you had any previous version of Eclipse (or CFBuilder) on the machine and may be reusing a workspace from then. It's tempting to reuse the workspace, since so many settings are incorporated there. You don't need to lose that old workspace to switch to another. If you did it, and things suddenly worked as expected, then it would confirm that this was the issue. Worth trying before giving up hope.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried switching Workspace but no go. Thanks for the effort to try to debug this. For now I'll file a bug report.

Regards.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the working set is not open files, unfortunately. It's an entirely different concept (they are just a configurable set of files).

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation