Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customizing Help windows

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The problem I am having is with customizing the Help windows (CHM format) in RoboHelp 8. In the Placement area it will not allow me to introduce our standard values, but prompts me to  enter a value between X and Y, values wich are not what we used with RoboHelp 5 and 7. I tried editing the window in the preview plane, but it does not save those settings. Is it possible to work around this somehow?

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Zita

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Try this. Close your project and take a backup of its rhwnd.apj file. Open this file in Notepad and look for the <windowplacement> section. Change the values in that section to the values you require and save the file. Open and compile the project. Let us knwo if this works.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zita.

Can you tell us what your standard values are and what the the x and y values you are prompted for?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sure, sorry I didn't start with that:

It seems that at Top (where we have 0) and Height (where we have 760), it accepts the values. But, Left, where I tried to introduce 560, first it said I need a value between 0 and 517, then between 0 and 256. Width, we have 768, it asks for values between 65 and 464, then 62 and 444, or 512. It seems that the required value range changes on some occasions, but it will repeat itself after a while.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With these settings almost half of the help window is off the screen. This maybe the issue as RH expects all the window to be displayed. Do you use this window size deliberately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the settings we used with RoboHelp 5 and 7 and the window was entirely displayed on the screen in the upper right part of the screen, on a standard size. Would there be a difference just due to the transition to RoboHelp8, are the values interpreted differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest I don't know how screen resolutions affect this dialog but could you have changed screens or resolution between upgrading to RH8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not to my knowledge. Everything is the same, but the RoboHelp version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Close your project and take a backup of its rhwnd.apj file. Open this file in Notepad and look for the <windowplacement> section. Change the values in that section to the values you require and save the file. Open and compile the project. Let us knwo if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work! Many thanks, you have been very helpful, as usual!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Zita. It would be worth reporting this to Adobe as it seems like something has gone array with RH8. You can do so at this link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, thank you, I will do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp