• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to pass not pass score from Captivate to LMS through SCORM?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have varying requirements for quizzes to be created in Captivate.

1) Firstly I want navigational answers to how I can pass the score of the entire quiz from Captivate to LMS. What is the setting I should click or not click?

2) Secondly I do not want some questions to be evaluated. What setting I should click or unclick

3) Thirdly I do not want the score of the entire quiz to be sent to the LMS? What I should click or unclick

4) Fourthly I want answers to all the questions to be evaluated and sent to LMS. But I want to validate individual questions by assigning different marks for each right answer for each question which should be passed to LMS? How do I do this.

Would appreciate an early reply from you.

Thanks and regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

To your first question, these are my settings for passing score to LMS:

SCORM_Manifest.png

Second Question: open Project, Advanced Interaction and deactivate Add to Total for those items you do not want to score.

I do not understand quite well the other two questions, Sorry

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri for your helpful reply. I rephrase the third and fourth question this way:

1) When I enter each and every question, what is the use of Points member and Report tab to be set for each and every question. Missing to set one of them does it prevent from sending the score to LMS? Suppose I put Points as 0 does it prevent Captivate from sending the zero value to LMS?

Suppose I uncheck Report does it override the global setting you provided and prevent from sending the score of this question to LMS? Is Points synonymous with score?

Once again many thanks for your helpful earlier reply.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You can report only the Slide views to the LMS.

Lot depends on the LMS: what kind of data will you be able to retrieve etc. So that question is not that easy to answer.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri once again for your reply. Without going into the capabilities of the LMS I would like to know what the Points and Report Answers function is so that I am able to create a Captivate slides:

1) Suppose I make Points as zero and check Report Answers is the intent of Captivate to send zero to the LMS? My business logic is the question is essential but need not be evaluated at the LMS

2) Suppose I make Points zero and uncheck Report Answers is the intent of Captivate Not to send zero to the LMS? My busines logic is the question is for information and does not really matter in the final report

3) Suppose I make Points 5 and uncheck Report Answers is the intent of Captivate Not to send zero to the LMS? My business logic is the question is required to be scored but not sent to LMS.

In short if you could tell me the full description or where I can find the functioning of the Points and Report Answers will be a great help. I have spent hours on this but with no avail . Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

The settings I showed in my first answer, for reporting the score, is what I now use, after having tried many scenarios with our LMS. Although most of them are SCORM-compliant, from these forums I learnt that they are not all behaving in the same way. Perhaps some clever guru can explain this better to you. I recommend to try some settings out.

The view I mentioned before Advanced Interaction is a great help: there you will find the Total points, to be compared with the result getting into your LMS. But our LMS functions best if I report Percentage instead of Points for score. However I can get a pretty complete report of the results of each user after completion of the test (which seems not to be the case in each LMS, I can get the data stored in _suspenddata). I found it helpful, if you are scoring interactive objects, to give those objects a significant name.

Just one concrete tip (bit ashamed about my answers): you can change a question, that has not to be scored to non-graded. Or you can deactivate the option "Add to Total" in the view Advanced Interaction.

Sorry, not to be able to give you very clear, concrete answers.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks immensely Lilybiri for the detailed reply. Appreciate the points highlighted by you which has broadened my outlook on the usage of Captivate.

I would however like someone to explain to me what Points and Report Answer parameters do when I create each question in the Quiz. An answer with reference to the questions raised by me would be a great help and would help get going with my work at the earliest. Also when I choose Percent as explained by Lilybiri do I still have to enter the Points for each question in the quiz?

Anybody there?!!!!

Thanks Lilybiri once again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Percentage is only another way of reporting. You still have to assign points to each question. The total points acquired by the user will be divided by the maximum Total points, and this percentage will be send to the LMS. If you choose not to report an answer to a question, I think the data about this question will not be sent to the LMS, but (not sure) if the points are added, they will have influence on the Total points and the Total Percentage. So you can decide, Question by Question, if the answer has to be scored, how much points, and if it has to be sent to the LMS. As I mentioned, our LMS (based on Blackboard) allows to report the data acquired, so I have a detailed report of the answers given and if they were correct/incorrect. In the LMS-settings you arrange settings for the global report: if the total has to be shown as Points or Percentage, if the score/data have to be send, etc.

Did you examine the Advanced Interaction view? It shows you clearly which points are added to the Total, which answers are reported. I have discovered this view too late, after having lost quite a lot of time to questions similar to yours. It is only the reaction/possiblities of the LMS that I'm not so sure about.

You can guess what my 'motto' (do not find the word in English) is: 'Never give up... if it is worthwhile'. And I believe Captivate is worthwhile.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri for that excellent explanation. Most of my doubts have been clarified. I will explore Advanced Interaction as mentioned by you. Sorry I did not do it earlier.

My only doubt now is how to and how not to send the score of a single question to the LMS? Should I enter 0 in Points to not send the question to LMS and any score other than zero to send it to LMS, or should I uncheck or check the Report Answers for each question or do both ? I need to only know Captivate's behavior.

Would appreciate your help in this regards

Thanks and regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

I think your have two solutions:

• set the score to 0
  • deactivate "Add to Total Points" in the Advanced Interaction view.

In both cases the score of the question will not affect the Total score of the assessment.

Lilybiri

PS: if you think your question is answered, could you mark it as answered for the case of other users who are looking through this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Once again Thanks Lilybiri and sorry to disturb you again and again. My question what is the setting that prevents the score of individual questions to be sent to the LMS. By setting the Points to zero all I am saying is that the value of this question is zero. In this case does it pass the value zero to the LMS: if so then my question is not answered. If it does not pass this value to LMS then my question is answered.

If setting Points to zero does not send the value to LMS then what is the use of the Report Answers check box.

This is the doubt that is troubling me again and again.

I am a beginner to Captivate and I find that these settings are confusing and I dont know where exactly in Captivate documents I can find answer to these questions.

Hope I will get the answer the next time

Thanks and regards

JayKay4659

Hello again,

I think your have two solutions:

• set the score to 0

• deactivate "Add to Total Points" in the Advanced Interaction view.

In both cases the score of the question will not affect the Total score of the assessment.

Lilybiri

PS: if you think your question is answered, could you mark it as answered for the case of other users who are looking through this thread?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A first remark: in this posting your e-mail is available. I hope that the moderator will see it and removes your address to avoid you to get spam.

Another try.

1. If you do not want any reporting at all to the LMS of a Quiz or an Assessment, I should not load the quiz as a SCORM-object but as a package. Then you choose to publish as a ZIP and instruct the LMS to unzip the package and to start the HTML-file. Of course if this workflow is available in the LMS.
  2. If you do not want the reporting of some Questions, you'll adapt the settings of this Question slide, tab Reporting, deactivate Report Answers. You'll not see the Answer to this Question in the data sent to the LMS.
  3. If you do not want the reporting of some Interactivity assessments, such as click boxes, you'll adapt the settings of this object, tab Reporting, deactivate Include in Quiz. This will be visible in the Advanced Interaction view: 'Track score' will be cleared, 'Add to Total' and 'Report Answer' will be greyed out. You will not see this interaction in the data sent to the LMS.
  4. An alternative is the use of Advanced Interaction(for 3.): deactivate 'Track score'.

It is a pity, that our LMS is out just at this moment. Otherwise I would have sent you a screen shot of the Advanced Interaction combined with a data report from the LMS (without the name of the student). I can only join a screendump of the view:

AdvInteract.png

On slide 4 you see two interactivity objects: the score of the Click box will be passed, the score of the Text Entry Box will not be passed. Slide 5 is a Question slide, the answer will be passed to the LMS.

Perhaps I should already have asked if you are using Question Slides and Interactivity assessments, so I explained about both of them.

Good evening,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Lilybiri

Thanks for the excellent point by point explanation. My question is fully answered now. Thanks for the pains and patience. This is my first time with Adobe forums. Hence I did not know about the abuse concept. Even now I am not able to update at the forums interface. I dont find the reply button at all. Hence this mail.

Thanks once again

JayKay4659

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:41:17 -0700

To: jayakumar_rathnam@hotmail.com

Subject: How to pass not pass score from Captivate to LMS through SCORM?

Hello,

A first remark: in this posting your e-mail is available. I hope that the moderator will see it and removes your address to avoid you to get spam.

Another try.

1. If you do not want any reporting at all to the LMS of a Quiz or an Assessment, I should not load the quiz as a SCORM-object but as a package. Then you choose to publish as a ZIP and instruct the LMS to unzip the package and to start the HTML-file. Of course if this workflow is available in the LMS.

2. If you do not want the reporting of some Questions, you'll adapt the settings of this Question slide, tab Reporting, deactivate Report Answers. You'll not see the Answer to this Question in the data sent to the LMS.

3. If you do not want the reporting of some Interactivity assessments, such as click boxes, you'll adapt the settings of this object, tab Reporting, deactivate Include in Quiz. This will be visible in the Advanced Interaction view: 'Track score' will be cleared, 'Add to Total' and 'Report Answer' will be greyed out. You will not see this interaction in the data sent to the LMS.

4. An alternative is the use of Advanced Interaction(for 3.): deactivate 'Track score'.

It is a pity, that our LMS is out just at this moment. Otherwise I would have sent you a screen shot of the Advanced Interaction combined with a data report from the LMS (without the name of the student). I can only join a screendump of the view:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/15338/AdvInteract.png

On slide 4 you see two interactivity objects: the score of the Click box will be passed, the score of the Text Entry Box will not be passed. Slide 5 is a Question slide, the answer will be passed to the LMS.

Perhaps I should already have asked if you are using Question Slides and Interactivity assessments, so I explained about both of them.

Good evening,

Lilybiri

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again Thanks Lilybiri and sorry to disturb you again and again. My question what is the setting that prevents the score of individual questions to be sent to the LMS. By setting the Points to zero all I am saying is that the value of this question is zero. In this case does it pass the value zero to the LMS: if so then my question is not answered. If it does not pass this value to LMS then my question is answered.

If setting Points to zero does not send the value to LMS then what is the use of the Report Answers check box.

This is the doubt that is troubling me again and again.

I am a beginner to Captivate and I find that these settings are confusing and I dont know where exactly in Captivate documents I can find answer to these questions.

Hope I will get the answer the next time

Thanks and regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources