• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot insert Captivate Demo - filename contains illegal characters

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML v8 on XPpro. Captivate v4.

I have created a simple Captivate v4 application demo and published to SWF.

In my RHhtmlv8 project, I create a new topic, and choose Insert > Adobe Captivate Demo.

The Insert dialog allows me to select my SWF file. It shows it in the Insert dialog and starts to play it.

No matter what my SWF filename is (e.g. abc.swf, video1.swf, etc.), when I click the OK button in the Insert dialog, I get the error:

'Unable to rename file, "abc.swf". The filename contains illegal characters.'

I have searched the forums here and find no solution.

How do you get support from this company? I went to the support link and it only showed Captivate as an option, even though I have a valid license for RH8 and have registered it. Yet - for 2 days now, I have not heard back from any support via that mechanism.

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

When you attempt to insert the demo, by chance do you still have the project open in the Captivate editor? If so, you likely need to close it there before attempting to insert into RoboHelp. I've seen all manner of weirdness with this.

Another thing that seems to have happened recently that is worth looking at. When you Published your Captivate demo, did you Publish as AS2 or AS3? (For those that may wonder, AS refers to ActionScript. Similar to JavaScript and is the Flash programming language.)

I've begun to notice issues with inserting Captivate content where I have published as AS3.

Let us know... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Rick,

Thanks for a speedy response. The Captivate Editor is not open and I published as "AS2".

???

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Does it happen only with this project? What happens if you perhaps create a blank project with only a slide or two?

Trying to sort if it's related generically to Captivate and RoboHelp on your own PC, or if it's just this project. That little test should ferret that out.

If you test and it seems generic (meaning it also happens with a fresh blank project) feel free to zip up the Captivate output files and attach. I can then download and test on my own PC to see if I get the same behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

A blank new RHhtml8 project has the same problem on my XPpro system. Arrrggg. However, I have Captivate8 and RH8 installed on a Vista system and that works there.

So, my thoughts are, remove all versions of RH from my system (RH6, 7 and 8 are installed) and reinstall just RH8. I have to think the installation is all mucked up. As I continue to have other problems with RH8. For example, it will no longer publish to an FTP site that I have been using with RH6,7,8 for a long time. See my other topic in this forum.

Unless you disagree, that is what I will do and then retest. Deinstall all versions of RH and reinstall RH8.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jeff, looks like you misunderstood me.

I meant for you to try a new Captivate project. See if a blank Captivate project exhibits the same behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Too late. Nothing easy about uninstalling 3 versions of RoboHelp. It takes longer than installation.

Will report back when I have RH8 reinstalled and test with a new captivate demo project.

Thanks.

Jeff J Jones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - back after a long weekend.

Removed 3 versions of RH (6,7,8). Reinstalled RH8.

Created simple Captivate 4 project with 2 slides. Published to SWF (Flash 10; AS2) - did not Save project. Attempting to Insert SWF file into RH8TML (is that what I should be selecting?), it plays in the insert dialog. Click Ok - and get error unable to rename.

However, if I choose New - Captivate Demo, it opens Captivate 4, capture short app demo; save project - funny how Publish is not an option now. Close Captivate4. RH8 asks for new topic title and file name. Creates said topic and filename. And it works!

Two Questions:

1. Why won't Insert -> Adobe Captivate Demo work? What might I be doing wrong? I will insert Captivate Demo of what I am doing so you can see it next.

2. Why does the second option (New - Cptivate Demo) work but not allow for a Publish option?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - under option 2 above, I mentioned how I was able to get an Cptv8 Demo into a topic in my RH8HTML project. If I click on View (the little eyeglasses icon), a page pops up and runs the demo video. Cool. I generate my WebHelp Layout and publish it. I open that topic page and NO VIDEO! The page sizes very large as if it expects the video there, but nothing plays. What-oh-what am I missing now?

I am thinking that removing and reinstalling Cptv8 might be the answer. Any thoughts?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - pursuant to my last post - I have found why the published WebHelp topic will not play the video. This is because RH8html did not copy the SWF into the topic folder! Once I manually copy the SWF into the .../!SSL!/WebHelp/topic/ folder, it will play.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fyi - I moved my RH8html help project from my C: directory location and put it under \My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\ and lo and behold, everything now works! Arrrrgggggg!!!!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Add all the Captivate files as baggage files in your project, otherwise they will not be copied into the output.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See related thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433500

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...where a candidate solution has been posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp