Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can I format text that has been entered into a text input field?

Level 2

I developed a 'help' subform that displays messages depending on the user experience.

The message values are sent to a text input box and displayed as a readOnly field.

What I like about this - is that the user can scroll through the message - allowing for a smaller window.

(they can resize the subform if needed too)

I would like to format the message.

Line breaks, bold, symbols (anything else?)

Can anyone help?

5 Replies

Former Community Member

I woudl make the field a rich text field. The richtext is supported through XHTML. You can do bold, italic, underline, subscript, etc ....in XHTML for the field. Are you setting the message in the Designer or do you want to set the messagei in real time as the user is filling out the form?

Paul

Level 2

I was looking for something along this line, as well. I know that you can set the field to be rich text--which is great! You can copy rich formatting from Microsoft Word into it, and keep the formatting. And you can set italics, bold and underline, by hitting ctrl-i, b, and u, respectively.

However, I was hoping there was a way to make a toolbar at the top of the field somehow (like there is when we're posting here in the forums), to eliminate the extra step of typing the rich formatting in Microsoft Word, and then copy and pasting into the pdf form. My users hear me say this extra step and then reply with "Then why are we using the pdf at all??" My only answer is that it keeps things standard--which isn't a good enough argument for them.

Help?

Former Community Member

Ctrl-e will bring up the rich text toolbar.

Paul

Level 2

Thanks so much! That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Is there a way I can set the document to default show that toolbar when the user opens the document?

Former Community Member

This command will act a s a toggle switch for that menu:

app.execMenuItem("PropertyToolbar");

So I woudl put it on the enter event and the exit event. The menu will come on when you enter the field and turn off when you leave th efield.

Paul