Exit

Relative path to pdf file is outside of current project and will not be shown

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp HTML Ver 8

Hi,

I have been trying to link pdf and doc files using relative paths. When I generate a primary layout it reports the following error for all links.

The hyperlink filename.pdf used in filename.htm is outside the current project and will not be shown in project manager and the links do not work in compiled code.

The link works in Preview Topic mode

I have disable the Mark of the Web option

The folder structure is

Project Title:

Documents:

Robohelp project files:

From the Robohelp project files foIder I am using the following convention ../documents/filename.pdf

The link works if I edit the HTML code via Notepad++

Any ideas

thanks

wowronin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create the link, RH prompts you to import the file into the project. Are you doing that?

- If you are, you should see the PDF in baggage files and it should all work OK.

- If you are not, then it is an external file and I think the message will say it MAY not work, not that it WILL not work, big difference. It will only work if the relative path is correct in the output.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes it does ask me if I want to copy it into the project and I choose No

When I generate the project it The exact message is:

The hyperlink "filename.pdf" used in "filename.htm" is outside of the current project and will not be be shown in Project Manager.

Thanks

Wowronin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you are not copying the project into the project, it is entirely logical that it will not be shown in Project Manager. It is not part of the project. Yes it will say the PDF will not be shown in Project Manager. I thought it also indicated somewhere along the line that the links may not work.

What is happening is that the relative link is created from the source file to the PDF but of course that link will be wrong for the output file. You can edit it in Design Editor by working out the relative path from where the help (webhelp?) will reside to where the PDF is located.

If you choose Yes instead, you will not have this problem but of course if the original file changes, you will have the original version.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2009 Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I seem to have encountered the same kind of problem. I've worked with sucessive versions of Robohlep but I cannot remember having that problem before.

I have inserted an hyperlink that points to an "external" PDF file (or Word for that matter) in a topic. I do import this file in the project when the prompt is displayed. The link to the file works well when I preview the topic. However, when I compile and  check the *.chm result, the same link does not work. I get a "mk:@MSITStore:C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\smorange\Desktop\test\FM510_EN_Monthly.chm::/1_Installation_FM5.1.pdf" path (i move the *chm file to my desktop in a test folder). I tried to move the PDF (or Word) file  in a folder along with the *.chm, hoping for a miraculous relative path but obviously the link remains the same and I get no better results.

Could you please help me with this.... I've just realized the problem and I have about 20 links to external files that don't work!

Thanks!

Stéphane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp