Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search and Index don't work in help project on Web server

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use RH 7 on Windows XP, and generate my help project using WebHelp.

The Search and Index functions work perfectly fine in the generated help project on my hard drive, but when the project is deployed to our Web server for user acceptance testing, these functions don't work.

• When I search for a term, the help project displays either "Searching..." or "Loading data, please wait..." (in a yellow box that displays only for a second or two), but no search results display. When I search for a word in the generated project on my hard drive, the results display immediately.
  • When I click the Index tab, the index list is completely blank.

For both functions, the "Done, but with errors on page" or "Error on page" message displays in the bottom left-hand corner of the browser window; when I click the icon (exclamation point in a yellow triangle), an error message displays with the following details:

Line: 688

Char: 7

Error: 'aTopics[...].sTopicTitle' is null or not an object

Code: 0

URL: http://<I removed this part of the path for security purposes>/webhelp/whfbody.htm

I've attached a PDF that includes screen shots comparing how these functions work on my hard drive and on the Web server (for security purposes, I crudely blocked out any company references in the URLs in the screen shots).

Does anyone have an idea off the top of their head as to what might be preventing the Index and Search functions from working? Perhaps this is due to a configuration or security setting on our Web server or something - this entire process is new to me, so I have no idea how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Are you certain that all the WebHelp output files are making the trip to your server, particularly all those quirky little things in the whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 57 on my site.

Images are best included in a post by using the camera icon above. Attached images get queued so there is a delay, PDFs seem to want to be saved on viewer's PCs. Images inserted with the camera can be seen straight away. Thanks.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain that all the WebHelp output files are making the trip to your server, particularly all those quirky little things in the whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MergeThis was right - for some reason, there were numerous missing files in the "whdata," "whgdata," and "whxdata" folders in our configuration management tool. After uploading the missing files and deploying a new build, that appears to have resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp