Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Clarification on Memory Usage.

Level 10

My workflow reads a couple of documents(say 3 PDF files) from the file system and attached to a list variable.

These documents are available to all the actors(except initiator) of the application.

My question is:

Will the memory occupied by the list variable will be released once my process instance is complete?

or the data will be there in the MySql DB forever?

I need to consider this memory usage becasue, each instance of my workflow hold these attachments which may be huge in future.

Or can i simply purge these documents by setting the list variable value to EMPTY or NULL?

Thanks,

Nith

7 Replies

Former Community Member

I am not 100% certain how it was implemented but I can see that there are two areas you need to be concerned about. The List that is in memory will not need to be cleared because when that step is finsihed, the next garbage collection cycle will flush that variable. If your process is long lived, then those variables are written to tables in the LC database. In that case you WILL want to clear your list var so that the DB table can be cleared as well. If it is a short lived process then the vars only exist in memory anyways.

Paul

Level 10

Thanks Paul.

My process is long-lived. So I will have to clear the list at the end of the process.

Do you know something about the maximum storage limit of SQL Server 2005 DB used for LiveCycle?

Thanks,

Nith

Former Community Member

There are no imposed limits by us.....my guess is that the DB size was set when you installed and created the DB and you have hit that limit. I do not know SQL Server well but most DBs allow you to increase the size of the DB using an admin tool.

Paul

Level 10

The data will be stored in the database.

You can use the xPath empty-list() method (under Collection) to clear the list at the end of your process.

Jasmin

Level 10

Thanks for the reply Jasmin!

In my process, there are certain attachments needs to be saved forever. Will this make any memory issue in future?

Please suggest an efficient way to handle these attachments so that they can be referenced in future.

Thanks,

Nith

Level 10

"Will this make any memory issue in future?"

Well it's more of a disk space issue. Make sure you know how many files you're going to archive to make sure your DB will have enough space.

"Please suggest an efficient way to handle these attachments so that they can be referenced in future."

You could also store them in a content management system before your clear your variable.

Jasmin

Level 10

Thanks jasmin

Thanks & Regards,

Nith