• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to generate .chm file in Robohelp 5

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on Robohelp 5 and i am facing a very strange error.

I am unable to generate a Micsoft HTML help which is my primary layout. Whereas i am able to generate other forms of output. It throws this error while compilation

Fatal error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML help

When i try to open the .chm file , i get the following error:

Cannot open the file: mk:@MSITStore:F:\..........\.chm

However, i was able to generate the same .chm file from the same source file a month ago.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this limited to one project or can you not create a CHM form any project. If the former, you'll need to identify what in your project is causing the compile to choke. Look at what has been added and go from there. If the later, try ensuring that you have all the relevant components. You can do this by running this diagnostics tool.

Read the RoboColum(n).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is only limited to the generation of a single source file. I am able to generated flash, webpro and other output formats from the same source file. Only generation of html help is throwing this compiler error. And i have not added anything new to it. All i have done is installed Adobe FM last week. May be that may have deregistered a few dll s needed. But then again i have repaired my OS post FM installation. Still it is not compiling. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're generating to a network folder (I assume F: is a mapped drive), that might be it. Microsoft security issues were put in place some time ago that prevent .chm files from being viewed on a network.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a mapped or networked drive, it is a normal standalone drive. I was able to generate .chm from the source file a couple of weeks ago. Last week i installed Adobe FM, think some changes happened to the registry and hence this problem. Kindly help me to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are definitely using RH HTML and not RoboHelp for Word? This is a problem that does occur with CHMs from RoboHelp for Word and there is information in the Troubleshooting topic in that forum category.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2009 Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help....

I tried a simple thing today morning with the source files i have. I renamed the entire project to generate .chm file and it worked
!!!!!

Regards,

Anupam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As I view this thread I see that you didn't really answer Colum's first question.

Colum asked you if you tried compiling a CHM from a different project.

You replied that the other layouts worked fine.

But other layouts come from the SAME project. So you really do need to open a different project. Or perhaps create a totally new one. Then compile a CHM from that and see if it's successful.

If it works, it means RoboHelp is quite capable to compile CHM files and your system is working fine. In that case, you have something going on with one specific project.

If it doesn't work, it means larger issues. A problem overall with your ability to create CHM files. Possibly you will need to reinstall something.

How you receive help from here forward is totally dependent upon the answer you provide after you test.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your help....

I tried a simple thing today morning with the source files i have. I renamed the entire project to generate .chm file and it worked
!!!!!

Thanks and Regards,

Anupam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for your help....

!!!!!

Best Regards,

Anupam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this problem ever occurs again, an alternative to renaming the project is simply to create a new layout (new name, different destination path, etc.).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How deep is the path to your Help project and the .chm file? The HTML Help compiler can't cope with paths that exceed 256 characters, and will consequently spit out corrupt .chm files.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The path of my file is definitely not 256 characters long.

Last week i installed Adobe FM 8, i think this may be a reason where some registry files must have got corrupted which is causing this. I have even repaired my OS soon after that to replace the deregistered system files.

Even today morning i faced the same compiler error with my robohelp source file. Kindly help me out with this.

Thanks!!

Anupam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2009 Nov 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! This works for RoboHelp 8 too. I moved my files up a couple of levels and they

generate just fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp