• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to improve CFC performance

Nov 23, 2009 Nov 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The database queries I had at the top of the page were moved into a CFC and now it is taking noticeable amount of time in displaying the data. How do I improve the performance of the CFC so that it does not take more amount of time for displaying the data.

I'm on CF 9 Standard version and the methods in the CFC return queries to the page that invoke the component.

Please help. Thanks.

- Milind

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us some "before" and "after" code?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Its the same queries that I had on the page are now in a CFC. Do you still need the SQLs? There is absolutely no change in the queries.

Thanks.

- Milind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if the SQL is identical then no need to post it.  But everything else in the CFC and the calling code would help.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay ... here we go

This is how I invoke the CFC:

<cfinvoke component="dbqueries.iriqueries" method="getRunDetails" returnvariable="qryRunDetails">
     <cfinvokeargument name="projid" value="#trim(url.pid)#">
     <cfinvokeargument name="runid" value="#trim(url.rid)#">
     <cfinvokeargument name="cru" value="#trim(url.cru)#">
</cfinvoke>

<cfif IsQuery(qryRunDetails)>

<!--- Data display processing --->

<cfelse>

<!--- Error message processing --->

</cfif>

And the CFC has following code (I have modified the column names and table names):

<cffunction name="getRunDetails" returntype="query" output="no">
     <cfargument name="projid" type="string" required="yes">
     <cfargument name="runid" type="string" required="yes">
     <cfargument name="cru" type="string" required="yes">

<cfset var qryRunDetails = "">

<cftry>
          <cfquery datasource="#mrsdsn#" name="qryRunDetails">
          SELECT col1, col2, col3, col4, col5
          FROM my_table_name
          WHERE trim(pcn) = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" maxlength="13" value="#trim(arguments.projid)#">
          AND trim(run_id) = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" maxlength="20" value="#trim(arguments.runid)#">
          AND trim(cru) = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" maxlength="20" value="#trim(arguments.
cru)#">
          AND col9 is null
          ORDER BY
col1 ASC
          </cfquery>
          <cfcatch type="database"><cfset bError = true></cfcatch>
     </cftry>

<cfreturn qryRunDetails>
</cffunction>

Note that variables bError and mrsdsn has been declared at the component level not at the method level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so not really "displaying" the data in the CFC method: just fetching it.  I don't see anything suboptimal in your code, anyhow.  It's always good to put a second set of eyes on these things though.

As Dan said there is a bit of an overhead instantiating a CFC, but it should be marginal compared to running a DB query.

Can you split your CFC instantiation from your method call and time both separately to see how much overhead the CFC instantiation is actually adding?

Oh, and is "dbqueries.iriqueries" the full path to the CFC from the webroot, or is it relative to your current template or a custom tag path?  I guess the question is does CF have to hunt around for the CFC, or is that its explicit path?  What'd the relevant dir structure, and where are any mappings or custom tag paths pointing?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam -

1. How do I separate the instantiation of CFC from method call? Can you provide help?
  2. "dbqueries" is the directory directly under "<cfroot>\CustomTags\". So, I do not think CF would take time in trying to locate the iriqueries.cfc file.

Is there a properties and/or xml file that I can read in order to find out what directories CF looks?

Thanks for taking time in helping me.

- Milind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create an object instance with createObject(): http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/CFMLRef/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbec22c24-697b.html

And then you can call its methods as per the example in the docs.  It's a bit less clunky than <cfinvoke> IMO.

There's something in the docs about which order CF looks for things in, but I suspect on custom tag paths is going to be one of the last places (found the page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Developing/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbec22c24-7e17.html).

Whilst testing, move your CFC into the same dir structure as your calling code, and see if that improves things.  I gotta say I always explicitly path my CFCs, eg: com.mydomain.myapp.somepackage.someCfc, where /com is a CF mapping.  That said... I would not expect this to reflect much of a performance hit / improvement.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you move the queries?  Is it so they are available to other pages, or did you do it for philisophical reasons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I moved them to a CFC so that the same queries can be made available to other pages. But, I was surprised to see the performance taking a hit.

Thanks.

- Milind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFCs do come with a bit of a performance price.  How big a hit are you seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread might be relevent.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/529289?tstart=0

Also, to see where the delay is occurring, cfdumping a gettickcount() right before your cfinvoke tag and at various places in the cfc may provide some useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Milind,

Did you turn debugging on? Coldfusion's debugging apparatus parses and records some administration about all the files involved in a request, from the Application.cfc events fired, through to the objects instantiated and methods invoked.

In general, with debugging on, the CFC will contribute much more to the debugger's consumption than an ordinary CFM page. To compare like with like, switch debugging off before doing any comparison. You may likely find there is nothing wrong with your CFC's performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The debugging is not turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The debugging is not turned on.

Then turn it on in the Coldfusion Administration. It will display the processes involved in a request and their execution times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a long shot from prior experience:

Does  "dbqueries." happen to be a mapping set in CF administrator? I have seen a few times, random, that when its' a mapping, it is a bit slower rather than letting it parse the file/folder path of the webroot. I never could figure it out, but once I had this issue, 2-4 sec difference by having the CF mapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No "dbqueries" is not mapped. Its a physical directory under "<cfroot>\CustomTags\".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does this perform any better?

<cfset qryRunDetails = createobject("component", "dbqueries.iriqueries").getRunDetails(trim(url.pid),trim(url.rid),trim(url.cru))>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation