9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 12:05 AM by Michel Bozgounov

Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

speedtigger

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro from Windows XP Pro. My Fireworks CS3 is having a problem. I cannot select items in the left side menu bar if I minimize or move the Fireworks CS3 window. If I have just opened the window it works, but minimize the window or move it and the toolbar stops working.

This problem is not unique to my machine. 2 other people are having the exact same problem. Here is the link to the Windows 7 forum:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/26957-adobe-fireworks-cs3-issue.html

We sure could use some help. This is one of my bread and butter programs.

• 1. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
          pixlor Level 4

CS3 isn't perfectly happy on Vista. It isn't really happy on a 64-bit OS. If this program is your bread and butter, then I recommend you get a 32-bit machine with Vista and set Fireworks CS3 to run in XP compatibility mode.That, or never minimize or move your CS3 window.

It's unreasonable to expect a 3-year old program (or whatever it is) to run on a hardware platform it wasn't intended to in an OS environment that wasn't even being worked on when the program was released.

• 2. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
            speedtigger Level 1

I don't think it is "unreasonable" to "expect" a product update from Adobe to make my $2,000+ 2 year old purchase work with Windows 7. Let's hope Adobe does not abandon the people who have purchased the CS3 product. It would certainly make future Adobe purchases far less attractive

But, expectations aside, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a solution for this problem. I have managed to get past most of the problems in CS3 in WIndows 7 and this one is one of the few that I have left along with LiveCycle failing to start. It is probably not a huge problem to fix for an Adobe engineer.

I can run this program in XP mode using virtual PC but that is a huge inconvenience and much slower due to the reduced resources.

Any Adobe aces out there have an answer for this dilema?

• 3. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
              pixlor Level 4

I'm happy to hear you have other work-around alternatives!

Businesses with mission-critical software usually are very careful to research that their software will run on any proposed new system or that alternative software is available. This is the main reason that Microsoft had to continue supporting XP longer than they intended. Too much business-critical software ran on XP but did not run under Vista and would take some time before it would be upgraded to do so...if at all.

If you have "bread and butter" apps, then it was your responsibility to make sure that you could run them once you upgraded. Adobe's software worked more or less as advertised for the operating systems that were available at the time the versions were released. That's reasonable. Expecting indefinite support into the future is not.

Fireworks isn't a $2000 product. Adobe continues product development, yes. They've moved on to CS4 and its patches. You can upgrade to FW CS4 for about $150. The system requirements for FW CS4 do not include Windows 7; note that Fireworks is only certified for 32-bit operating systems:

http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/fireworks4/systemreqs.html

However, there's a statement about CS4 applications (in general) working with Windows 7:

http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/faq/?anonymous_element_1=4

And you'd want to get the recent updater:

http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html

speedtigger wrote:

... It is probably not a huge problem to fix for an Adobe engineer.

If the feature worked under Vista but does not work under Windows 7, then that means that the problem probably lies somewhere in how the program communicates with the OS. The problem is not isolated to the tens - possibly hundreds - of thousands of lines of Fireworks code, but in how that code interacts with the Windows 7 APIs. To solve this problem is not the work of "an Adobe engineer." It's the work of a project team. It's the work of a project team which would have to be pulled off development of Fireworks CS5 for a few months to resurrect the old CS3 code, get familiar with it, and try to track down and solve the problem, then package up, test, and release a patch . By pulling resources off CS5 development, CS5 would be delayed or quality inversely impacted. Since CS3 is not a current product for sale, I can't see Adobe making this investment. There's no return on it, where there would be a return on getting a quality FW CS5 out the door on time.

• 4. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                speedtigger Level 1

Pixlor,

Thank you for all of this insight into Adobe's profit strategy. But frankly, I did not come to this forum for extensive justifications for Adobes failure to support the CS3 suites that cost thousands of dollars like mine did just two years ago.

I was under the impression that this forum was here for Adobe users to help each other. I thought that there would some Adobe experts here that really knew the technical details of the product.

At first, I thought maybe you just had an opinion you needed to share like so many do on forums. But, now I see that you must just be a PR guy for Adobe.

I would really appreciate it if you would bow out of this thread and let it remain for someone who can contribute to the problems resolution.

Thanx,

CSSteve

• 5. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                  Michel Bozgounov

pixlor is surely not an Adobe PR guy!

I may add:

When Adobe Fireworks CS3 was released, I am not sure that Windows 7 64 bit was even at alpha stage! I understand that you'd like to work on Windows 7 x64 and with Fireworks CS3, but it is possible that there exists some incompatibility between the OS and the software (which is older than the OS!).

I hope that some Adobe Fireworks developer could help you, but in the worst case, you still have some options:

1) Run Fireworks CS3 inside a virtual machine on Windows 7 x64. Install on the machine Windows XP 32bit, which runs perfectly with Fireworks CS3. Windows Vista should work well, too.

2) Try to use some compatibility mode for Fireworks CS3 inside Windows 7.

3) Move to Windows 7 32 bit?

This is all I can think of, right now. I am not an Adobe employee, I just try to help...

Finally, you can always try Fireworks CS4 (as trial) on your Windows 7 x64, and if you like it more, upgrade to it at some point (costs money, I know, but I just mention it as an option).

• 6. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                    speedtigger Level 1

Thanx, optimiced.

I am getting by with Fireworks so far by just leaving it up on one of my screens unmoved. I tried it in Virtual PC XP Mode but the reduction in graphics capability in Virtual mode is a problem when working on graphic designs.

In Virtual XP mode, Adobe is prompting me to activate it as if it were a seperate computer which would use up one of my installation licenses. I am not sure what I can do to resolve that. So that option has not been real viable.

While I have spoken to people who have had problems solved by "compatibility mode", I have never had it solve any problems for me.

So, for now. I will be hoping for a product update from Adobe or some suggestions from an engineer or Adobe ace.

• 7. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                      Michel Bozgounov Level 2

You may try to connect to Adobe and ask them for one extra activation -- explain the problem to them.

I also hope that someone from Adobe team could help you better with your troubles with Win7 64 bit!

• 8. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                        speedtigger Level 1

Well, time for me to dine on some crow. I will take my first bit of crow right after I take my foot out of my mouth. I tried "compatibility mode" one more time at the suggestion of someone in the Windows 7 forum and the malfunction stopped. I set the compatibility mode to XP svc pk3 and whala. It works.

So, super thanx for all your efforts optimiced. The problem is now, for all practical purposes, solved.

• 9. Re: Problems with Fireworks CS3 in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
                          Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Glad that it works for you now! :-)

Cheers,

--Michel