Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a .eps file at 300 dpi?

Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a 300 dpi Illustrator .eps file.  I am placing a 300 dpi jpeg into a new canvas, I rasterize it to work with it and fine, it exports as a 300 dpi jpeg file.  However, when I try to save it as .eps, the dialogue box says that it's 72 dpi.  How do I go about fixing this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trancendentalee wrote:

…However, when I try to save it as .eps, the dialogue box says that it's 72 dpi.  How do I go about fixing this? 

What dialogue box?

Some basic information: Image resolution is measured in pixels per inch, or PPI, not DPI. Use PPI or sound like a rube.

Illustrator is a vector graphic application, so anything you create in Illustrator that is not rasterized has no resolution or, if you prefer, has infinite resolution. If something is rasterized in Illustrator using raster effects (Drop Shadow, Outer Glow, etc.) then it will be rasterized at the Document Raster Effects resolution (Effects > Document Raster Effects Setting). If something is rasterized in Illustrator using Object > Rasterize… or Effects > Rasterize it will be rasterized at the setting specified when the command is used. If something is imported that was already rasterized it will be imported at the image’s native resolution.

So, if you use File > Place to import a 300 ppi JPEG, then the raster data is imported at 300 pixels per inch. If you don’t scale the image and save as EPS you will embed the JPEG image at 300 ppi.

I don’t know what dialogue box is telling you, or asking you, the resolution of the EPS file. Post a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When you initially open Illustrator, the "new document" box should open up (or click File>New) and in the advanced settings ath the bottom, you can select the raster effects to be "High (300 ppi) and it will use those settings. Then, when you go to save your project in an .eps file, it should keep all the settings you initially used to open it with.

I hope this helps.

Bev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bvsanchz77 wrote:

When you initially open Illustrator, the "new document" box should open up (or click File>New) and in the advanced settings ath the bottom, you can select the raster effects to be "High (300 ppi) and it will use those settings. Then, when you go to save your project in an .eps file, it should keep all the settings you initially used to open it with.

I hope this helps.

Bev

That only applies to raster effects. Imported images or other rasterized art will be saved, rendered, and printed at its native resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool,

Still learning the software too. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…native resolution or interpolated resolution if the raster image is scaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrepressPro1 wrote:

…native resolution or interpolated resolution if the raster image is scaled.

Prepress, so let me see if i've understood you right:

Original is 6" wide at 300 ppi. I scale it down to 3" in AI. Resolution now increases to 600ppi. Similarly, if i size the image up to 12", AI will drop the resolution to 150ppi. IOW Illustrator does not touch the image in any way. Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 30, 2009 Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump... just want a closure on this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for your responses.  Just sharing what ended up working for me:

"you can alter the settings on your current document by visiting the "Effect" menu. It's very near to the top and is called "Document Raster Effects Settings…" - in fact, when you call up this dialogue box you can set the document's resolution higher than 300ppi using the "Other" radio button - something that you can't do when creating a document as detailed above."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trancendentalee wrote:

…in fact, when you call up this dialogue box you can set the document's resolution higher than 300ppi using the "Other" radio button - something that you can't do when creating a document as detailed above."

No. You are not changing the document’s resolution. Illustrator files are vectors and do not have a global resolution. You are setting the resolution of raster effects applied within that Illustrator file. Raster effects are not labeled, so it’s not always easy to tell what is or is not a raster effect. Anything that is not a raster, like text or other drawn elements within Illustrator will remain as vectors, with no resolution value at all. Any raster art imported, placed, or pasted in will maintain the resolution it had initially. “Document Raster Effects Setting” will not change anything except applicable effects you apply through the Effects menu. If you only apply vector effects (like Transform, 3D > anything, or Round Corners) then changing Document Raster Effects Setting will do nothing to your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

chill man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you launch your Print dialog, you can set your document resolution there.  Document resolution ( DPi ) is different than raster resolution ( PPi ).  If your raster resolution is 300ppi, then document res should be 2540 dpi.  If your document res is 300dpi, then your raster res can be 72 ppi. Like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines