Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Starting an embedded video with a click, or showing controls

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm using RoboHelp 8 (HTML), and I would like to embed a video in a page that either has the controls visible (so the video can be started and paused by the user) or that waits to start until it is clicked. I'm having trouble doing either of these things.

I know I can change the "param = ShowControls value = 0" to 1 in the HTML view, and that will show the controls. I find, however, that RoboHelp insists on changing it back whenever I go to the Design view (which is what I use, because although I am passingly familiar with HTML, it is certainly not my forte).

I was able to insert the AutoStart parameter (to false), so at least it doesn't play automatically. Without the controls, however, that does me little good.

I found reference to an "onclick" parameter, which I tried, but can't seem to make work.  I'm not sure what to set the onclick parameter to, to be honest. I've tried both "play" and "play('filename.avi')" to no avail, and I cannot find what the code should be to get the video to play on a mouse click.

I also tried to insert a separate button that would trigger the video to play, but that seems a dead end, as well.

Currently, I'm just using a hyperlink to the video, which launches the player separately and shows the video. This is an okay workaround, but I really would prefer the video to be embedded in the page and under the user's control, even if only marginally (via the mouse click start).

Is it possible to achieve what I want to do?  It seems like such a simple thing, I'm having trouble believing it's not possible, but I've been banging my head against this for ages and can't find a way.

(And why does RoboHelp insist on hiding the controls all the time? Is there a reason for that I can't see, or is it a bug, or what?)

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

May as well call a spade a spade! Please do report it as a bug.

I have some workarounds that could help with this. Unfortunately, I'm nearly out the door with my wife. I'll be back in a couple of hours and will be happy to assist further at that time (assuming nobody else has and further assuming you are still around and haven't left for the day)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the speedy reply, even if just a placeholder.

I am using a workaround (hyperlink), so there's no real time pressure for an answer. I'd still love to hear your thoughts, though, when you have time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp